Pace to start semester August 24th, Residential Move-in will begin August 14th

Pace+will+be+opening+their+campus+back-up+for+the+Fall%2C+but+there+will+be+new+regulations+and+requirements+to+protect+the+safety+and+health+of+all+students%2C+staff+and+faculty.+

Katie Walsh

Pace will be opening their campus back-up for the Fall, but there will be new regulations and requirements to protect the safety and health of all students, staff and faculty.

Katie Walsh, Managing Editor

Pace University has officially announced the change of dates to the fall semester. The semester will begin August 24th and end December 6th. Students will leave campus for Thanksgiving break and final exams will be done remotely from November 30th to December 5th. The calendar changes do not allow for holidays off, but instructors are recommended to teach those days in an asynchronous format.

Information on the changing academic calendar can be found in a prior article: https://pacechronicle.com/news/2020/06/13/joint-faculty-council-presents-covid-19-impacts/#photo

Residential move-in will began August 14th to allow for social distancing. Students will have to pre-register and pick an assigned time slot.

Although students will be returning to campus, COVID-19 will be the cause of changes in campus life and procedures.  Pace will be following New York State guidelines and recommendations to protect faculty, staff and students on campus. All information below can be found on Pace’s webpage.

Testing 

• Pace will not require COVID-19 testing, but recommends students be tested within 14 days of campus arrival. Test results do not have to be shared with the university unless they are positive.
  • Students will be required to complete a screening questionnaire for 7 consecutive days. The screening questionnaire will be available through a mobile app. Students who do not complete the required screening questionnaire will not be permitted on campus.
  • The Pace Community will be required to complete the screening tool’s questionnaire daily once the campus reopens.
  • If someone has symptoms of COVID-19, you will be required to take a COVID-19 test and seek medical attention.
  • If someone has been exposed to COVID-19, you must report to the coronavirus coordination officer, who will determine your status on isolation.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19, you must report to the university, and isolate yourself. You must inform  the coronavirus coordination officer of places and people you have been in-contact with. If the student lives in the dorms, suite mates and/or roommates will also have to self-isolate.
  • There will be required online training and education modules prior to campus return. 

Safety Measures

• Face coverings are required in all common areas. Pace will be supplying reusable face coverings to all members of the Pace community.
  • Social Distancing, maintaining 6ft apart, should continue to take place in common areas.

Academics 

• The Academic Schedule is not officially completed yet and more details will come shortly.
  • There will be a continuation of remote learning and hybrid instruction to continue the practice of social distancing.
  • Prioritization of in-person course instruction will be given to hands-on courses like labs, clinical, and performing arts.
  • Hands-on courses may require additional PPE.
  • If you need to attend classes remotely, contact your instructors and advisors.
  • Classrooms can only contain 25% capacity and students must remain 6 feet apart.
  • Schedules and Spaces will be adjusted in the weeks to come to fit the new guidelines. Some larger spaces may be used for classrooms and classroom spaces may be utilized for another purpose.
  • Pace is going to work towards staggering schedules to reduce food traffic.
  • There will be directional signage to assist in campus navigation with the practice of social distancing.
  •  Face coverings will be required in all classrooms.

Student Services

Dining Halls

• Face masks will be required.
  • Capacity in the halls will be reduced by at least 50%.
  • There will be limited seating and the seating will not be available for those not eating or when the halls are closed.
  • Mobile ordering, Pickup Stations and Contactless Payment will be implemented.
  • Self-service food stations will be eliminated.
  • Café tables will be spaced to accommodate six feet of social distance between diners.
  • Monitored flow within the dining halls and increased sanitation will be implemented.

Residential Life and Housing

• There will be reduced occupancy and staggered use of shared spaces.
  • There will be increased cleaning in the dorm halls and common areas.
  • Students are still responsible for cleaning and disinfecting their personal space including bathroom and kitchenette areas in suite-style or townhouse residence halls.
  • Information regarding occupancy guidelines, move-in and move-out will be available shortly.

Common areas

• Reduced capacity in all locations.
  • Barriers have been installed in areas where social distancing can not occur.
  • Face coverings will be required.
  • Signage will be present and directional traffic flow will implemented.
  • Gym and fitness areas will remain closed until restrictions are lifted  in the state.

Athletics.

• Decisions regarding NCAA athletics, club and intramural sports have not been completed. Pace is working  with the NCAA, National Intramural Recreational Sports Association and Northeast-10 Conference.
  • Recreation facilities will follow local, state and federal recommendations.