NFL Week Six: Top 3 Biggest Upsets

Courtesy of Gregory Bull - The Associated Press

Lia Tassinari, Social Media Editor

It’s safe to say that there were many surprising NFL upsets this week and I’m not talking about ones that were expected. Sure, there were many mediocre teams that were projected to lose against good teams but ended up winning. However, the top three biggest upsets I will name in this post are games that certain teams should have had in the bag.

1. Dallas Cowboys vs. Green Bay Packers (30-16)

Football fans will agree that Green Bay Packers (3-2) quarterback Aaron Rodgers is easily one of the best QB’s in the league. Fantasy owners pick Rodgers in their draft early because this guy proves to be unbelievable. However, in this game, Rodgers did not look like himself against a mediocre Dallas Cowboys (5-1) defense that ranks 19th in the NFL, according to ESPN. The Green Bay quarterback had 294 passing yards, one touchdown and one interception, which is not horrible. Nevertheless, Packer fans were expecting to see Rodgers do a hell of a lot better than that, especially against a broken Dallas defense. Not to mention, the Packers hosted the Cowboys and have not lost a game at home since last season. Perhaps this was just a hiccup, but it was definitely an upset for Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

1. San Diego Chargers vs. Denver Broncos (21-13)

The Denver Broncos (4-2) and starting quarterback Trevor Siemian won its first four games of the season and lost the last two. Now, I’ll forgive Siemian (as this is his first year as a starting QB in the NFL) and the Broncos for losing against the Atlanta Falcons last week because the Falcons are definitely one of the best teams in the NFL… but seriously? The San Diego Chargers (2-4)? This team only defeated ONE OTHER TEAM (the Jacksonville Jaguars (2-3)) before it faced the Broncos. So, I’d like to ask where the hell the Broncos defense was? I don’t know about you, but the defense just did not seem as explosive as they once were. In addition, and forgive me, Chargers fans, but let’s face it: It’s not even like the Broncos played the Chargers at a tough home stadium, as there were a large percentage of Broncos fans in attendance. So, the Broncos could not have been rattled while playing at San Diego. Perhaps I’m being a bit harsh, but if I were a Broncos fan, I would have a bitter taste in my mouth after watching this game.

1. Miami Dolphins vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (30-15)

You already know I’m putting my Fins and its victory versus the Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2) at the number one upset of the week. Why? Two words: Jay Ajayi. Apparently the Steelers had the fifth best defense against the run game in the NFL before the team played the Dolphins (2-4). Well, Jay Ajayi made the Steelers look like one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The young Dolphins running back had 204 yards and two touchdowns in this game alone: the best stats of his career. Another fun fact that I will add is that Miami’s defense was ranked one of the worst defenses all around in the NFL. So… how did the Fins stop Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell to just 53 yards, the least amount of yardage of his own season? How did the Fins prevent Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger from passing for more than 189 yards and zero touchdowns, the worst statistics thus far of his own season? If the Dolphins can do this to a team that is ranked second in the AFC, there is no doubt in my mind that the Fins have an extreme amount of talent. Do I smell the playoffs for Miami? Maybe so.