The Night Circus

"The Night Circus" cover courtesy of Amazon.

Janine Jones, Copy Editor

Hello Friends,

This week we talk about my FAVORITE book, “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern. I came across previews of this book about four years ago on Tumblr (yes, I have a tumblr and yes, I’m still active on it. DEAL WITH IT.) The thing that drew me to it was the first sentence of the book that is also kind of the book’s tagline: “The circus arrives without warning.” When I read that, the author obviously had my attention because I needed more.

The book is amazing because it’s not your typical Ringling Brothers/ Barnum & Bailey circus; It’s like Cirque du Soleil meets UniverSoul Circus meets something only dreams are made of. Which brings us to the name of the circus, Le Cirque des Rêves, which is French for ‘The Circus of Dreams’.

Interested, are you not?

If not then let me tell you some more reasons why you should be:

1. There’s MAGIC! The two main characters, Celia and Marco, are illusionists. Celia, daughter of Prospero the Enchanter, was born with her powers – while Marco, adopted by the mysterious Mr. Alexander, was taught through books and lessons. Granted, they don’t really call it magic in the book, they call it ‘enchantment’ which, to me, is a pretentious, ye olde time-y way of saying magic, but either way, it’s pretty dope.
  2. The book reads like a movie, so if you’re not all about a linear storyline, GOOD NEWS: there’s two storylines! They eventually come together and save the circus, but throughout they jump through years and cities and it’s the coolest thing.
  3. There’s romance and it’s so beautiful and so amazing it makes my eyes all misty just thinking about it. Put on your seat belts kiddies, we’re in for an emotional ride. Celia and Marco are amazing in so many ways, I just… I can’t even talk about it right now. BYE.
  4. It’s all some crazy twisted game. I can’t explain that either without ruining the plot so, BYE, AGAIN.

I mean I don’t want to be that person who tells you how to live your life BUT you need to read this book… Go ahead, I’ll wait. I’ve made an accompanying playlist as per usual, just because we’re pals.