Down With the Sickness

It is one thing to boo a player that sucks. It is perfectly fine to rip into your team on sports talk radio when they make a terrible trade. Hell, you can even support a player leaving town because he or she is a bad influence on your team.

But under no circumstances is any fan, loyal or bandwagon-jumper, justified in cheering after the injury of a player.

Every person who cheered after the injury of Matt Cassel has the self worth of dog excrement. To applaud a man who got taken out of a game due to a serious injury is a travesty to the integrity of the game. You can’t blame it on the alcohol, nor can you begin to think that cheering after an injury is an acceptable behavior. The integrity of all sports fans needs to be called into question after this.

Sure, there are some moments of questionable fan integrity. In football, fans cheer when a dog killer throws a touchdown pass. Fans go to see a convicted rapist be funny in The Hangover.  These are the grey areas of assessing character that are inevitable and debatable until the sun goes down.

But whether or not you should cheer for a person that gets hurt is a clear-cut case. You just don’t do it. It isn’t right. There is no person on Earth who would want 70 thousand strangers cheering if they got physically injured, so there is no reason to cheer the pain of somebody else. Just because they are a professional athlete does not make them any less of a human being.

If a businessman or woman at a company you hate fell and broke their leg, you wouldn’t cheer because you hate how they have been performing. In this way, sports are no different. The athletes are public figures, yet they are still human beings who laugh, cry, feel pain, feel joy, and experience life just like the people buying their jerseys.

To applaud a fellow human being’s injury is a wide mirror reflecting on the soul of the person clapping. It shows every fan wearing your team’s jersey that you have an inflated sense of self worth or a detached worthlessness; and frankly, it is tough to determine which one is worse.

Now, of course, it is impossible to prove that every single person cheered for Cassel’s injury, and for those who did not, good for you. It must have been hard to stay morally afloat in that swamp of bad character.

But to the men and women who were jubilant to see a human being seriously hurt, you are pathetic. You are so enamored with a game that you mistakenly think you are a member of the franchise. There is no “we have to play better” or “we need a better quarterback.” You don’t wear the pads, take the violent hits, or even help train the athletes who you pay to see. Cheering a person’s injury proves even more that you aren’t part of the team, for no teammate would openly applaud the injury of a friend.

Every fan who cheered Matt Cassel’s injury is an ignorant, pompous, sick, and classless piece of trash. The Kansas City Chiefs don’t deserve fans like you.

With home fans like that, the Chiefs sure as hell don’t need to worry about their opponents.