Best Songs I Discovered This Week

The+cover+of+The+Weeknd%27s++new+single+Starboy.+Photo+courtesy+of+The+Weeknd%27s+Facebook+page.+
The cover of The Weeknd's  new single Starboy. Photo courtesy of The Weeknd's Facebook page.

The cover of The Weeknd's new single Starboy. Photo courtesy of The Weeknd's Facebook page.

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

As much as I like my current playlist of songs, they eventually get played out and lose their charm. To combat this, I must search for new songs to get the fix I need. This week seemed to be rap theme because I discovered some of the best rap music I’ve listened too in quite some time.

1. The Joker by Damien: Ever since Suicide Squad came out I have low-key been obsessed with the Joker. He is one of the most interesting characters I’ve analyzed in a while and I felt like this song was a pretty good way to embody his character. There are lyrics in the song that compare him to God, which is kind of how the Joker acts, taking lives without warning and always acting out his will regardless of the consequences.
  2. Die This Way by Hopsin (featuring Matt Black and Joey Tee): I’ve always appreciated how real Hopsin’s music is and this song is no exception. No matter how happy or powerful someone might seem their always could be a deeper level of pain behind their demeanor. I also like that this song talks about how everyone has a level of uniqueness that can’t be changed no matter how much people try.
  3. Starboy by The Weeknd: Anyone who knows me knows how big of a fan of The Weeknd I am, so I’m really glad I finally have something else to listen too by him. His voice is f**king amazing, I really wish I had it. The lyrics are pretty relatable to me as well, as a reporter, there are always people looking to keep you down and end your career.
  4. A Reaper’s Tears by Azizi Gibson: I had no idea who Azizi Gibson was until my friend Alex introduced me to him, and I reallllllly like his music now. The lyrics are inspiring as well, how he talks about how he went from nothing to being able to kill all of his competition in the rap game.