The cast of Our Lady Of 121st Street at Arc Stages. 
Left to right: Jillian Hinz, Evan Mahanna, Patrick Purcell, Belle Duddie, Kendall Key, Marquise McCullough, Lilah McCormack, Darius Tiru, Leanna Ward, Michaela Elyse Williams, Faith Andrews,  Payton Cocchia.
Pace University's Spring Play: Our Lady of 121st Street

Pace University’s spring play, Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Our Lady of 121st Street, premiered this past week at Arc Stages in Pleasantville. Opening...

Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle StaffApril 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Two Cents: Arcade Fire – Reflektor

Two+Cents%3A+Arcade+Fire+-+Reflektor+

Grammy Award winner Arcade Fire has returned with its highly anticipated album Reflektor, which is receiving nothing but positive attention.

“I think they really had something with the new album,” said senior marketing major Steven Druan, “it showed us a lot of different sides of them that we hadn’t seen before.”

Bringing on producer James Murphy, owner of Death From Above (DFA) Records and front man of the Grammy nominated band LCD Soundsystem, brought Arcade Fire to new grounds through his disco-funk style.

“There is a whole new vibe on this record, it’s out there at times but I think that’s a good thing,” junior finance major Rafael Puerari said. “Their last albums were so much more serious so I’m glad they came out with something I can dance to. ”

Unlike their previous albums, which emphasize relationships within families and neighborhoods, Reflektor is about the theme of isolation and reflecting on certain part of your life. The two conflicting themes make for a different sound than what their fans have become accustomed to.

“[Reflector] took a darker turn for them, but they’ve definitely stuck to their ideology,” senior media communications major Marielle IIjazoski said.

My Two Cents:

Since Arcade Fire released their self-titled EP ten years ago they have came out with nothing but spectacular work and Reflektor is no exception to this trend. The album breaks musical barriers in almost every conceivable way.

Their last album, The Suburbs, won a Grammy for album of the year in which they challenged audiences through subjects such as the urban sprawl, poverty and paid homage to front man Win Butler’s suburban upbringings. Reflektor is far more mature and yet it seems more playful than ever. Using influences from the Caribbean music, Arcade Fire has closed the gap between Indie Rock, Rara (music of Haiti), 50’s era Rock n’ Roll and Disco Noir.

If the Bee Gee’s made their music in a parallel, surrealistic universe, Reflektor would be the outcome. The production value itself is award worthy let alone the actual quality of lyrics and originality. Aracade Fire’s collaborations with Indie titans such as James Murphy, David Bowie and Owen Pallett elevate texture and consistency while its new Haitian influences further expose the band to new themes.

Over the past decade Arcade Fire has risen through the underground and has been dubbed the quintessential Indie Rock band and Reflektor is the plaque that certifies their authenticity and earnestness.

Reflektor captures the awe of their live shows, in contrast to the efforts of previous albums which did not encompass the same feeling. With no sign of a world tour on the horizon, it may be a while until Arcade Fire fans have an opportunity to see these stage masters show off their skills.