The Journey of an Artist

GABRIEL SOLANO, Featured Writer

Cesar Winston Vera graduated from Pace in 2002 and is now the Coordinator of the Graphics Department on both the Pleasantville and the New York City campus. He is also head of Document Services on both campuses. Most do not know, however, that he is also a very accomplished artist.

Vera participated and founded the Pace Alumni Art Exhibit, an opportunity for Pace alumni to showcase their work and be recognized. He has worked at Pace for the last 18 years, but in no way gave up his love for painting and fashion.

“I knew I was an artist at 15,” Vera said.

In his early teens, he became more and more passionate about his work, although his real passion was fashion. While attending the Fashion Institute of New York City, Vera learned the trait and what it took to make it in the world of fashion.

“What I was most passionate about was fashion, but that changed when I realized how cutthroat it really was,” Vera said.

Vera said that since the world of fashion is one of scrutiny and of judgment, one must be willing to take upon the sarcastic and highly superficial life style.

“I didn’t want to incorporate that type of energy with my art,” Vera said.

Not wanting his art to fall in the mouths of people slashing it, Vera pulled away from the fashion industry. He left behind countless opportunities, even an opportunity to be interviewed by fashion designer Marc Jacobs.  For Vera, it was not how it looked or whose name he’d be under, it was that art for him was part of his life.

“My art to me is the only thing I can truly say that has allowed me to survive,” Vera said.

Vera is still showcasing his work and paintings. His art is available for viewing on his website www.cwvera.com, and he is a firm believer in supporting fellow artists and future ones.

“I encourage future artists as I encourage myself,” Vera said. “You are not doing it for anyone else, be honest and as long as you like it that’s all that counts.” Vera said.