Choate House Gallery, A Space For Art From Pace and Westchester Community

MAYRA MARADIAGA, Featured Writer

The saying “those that can’t do, teach” clearly has its exceptions with regards to Pace faculty. The Choate House Gallery is currently displaying paintings, photographs, and sculptures submitted by the faculty and staff of the art department.

Despite the size and the location of the exhibition, the quality of the art is enough to garner the attention of the entire Pace community.

“I think it’s great that we have an art gallery like this that can showcase our professors and show their talent,” gallery assistant and junior English major Jessica Haylock said. “I never knew that the professors do art. I know they teach and know about art, but I didn’t know that they could do some of these art works and it was really interesting. It actually made me appreciate our art professors.”

Upcoming exhibitions at the Choate House Gallery will include additional artwork from Pace faculty and the surrounding community.

In November, Professor Mark Cassata will be displaying his landscapes, seascapes, and classical figures in an exhibition titled “The Story of Working in Watercolor.”

During the spring semester, the annual Small Works Invitational presents artwork from students in the surrounding high schools. Submissions for this exhibition have increased every year, with more than 200 pieces shown at last year’s exhibit.

Those interested in submitting artwork may do so using various media including CDs or slides, which are then reviewed by curator Kathryn Marohn and staff assistant Yvette Jones. They then decide whether the art pertains to what the department wishes to offer at the moment.

“I see the gallery growing,” Jones said. “I’m seeing that a lot of the work coming in from students [has] grown and become very professional.”

Artworks currently displayed include drawings and sculptures by Professor Nicholas Rispoli and a painting by the gallery curator herself.

The Choate House Gallery is currently open Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday from noon to 4 p.m., and Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Hours are subject to change next semester and will be updated on the Pace Resource and Research Centers website.