Artist Spotlight: LeeAnn Reynolds

CRISTINA CUDUCO, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Sophomore English major LeeAnn Reynolds is a student of many diverse talents.

A self-identified creative writer, Reynolds has penned poems and short stories, and is currently working on her third novel. Reynolds believes her love of writing to have begun at a very young age.

“I distinctly remember going to a workshop at my local library when I was maybe six and making my own picture book, so I definitely think that had an impact on me,” Reynolds said. “My mom also read to me a lot when I was little, so I’ve always appreciated books. I started reading a lot on my own during middle school, and I realized that I wanted to write my own novel.”

In May of 2013, Reynolds did just that and began her first novel, Stolen, which she finished within three months.

It became apparent to the young author that a second installment to the tale was needed and so in August of that same year she began work on Copied, which she completed the following June.

The focus of Reynolds’s writing has been primarily on young adult fantasy, however, many of her poems and short stories have been inspired by non-fiction, both real stories of her and others’ lives.

Although her first two books may be done, Reynolds believes there is more to be edited but has put the endeavor on hold to begin a new novel entitled Dragon Wed.

“I started this past summer and I have 38 pages done,” Reynolds said. “This third one isn’t related to the other two. This one takes place in a fictional word, while the other two could take place in present day earth. The first two are part of a series, but I’m not planning on writing any more in it. But nothing’s ever certain!”

Reynolds attributes her creative nature to her upbringing.

“My parents always encouraged my brothers and I to be creative. My mom actually works as a children’s entertainer [clown, magician, and fairy godmother], so a lot of creativity goes into her job!”

In addition to this, Reynolds has been breeding and raising goats since 2007.

“I was looking for something that would make me unique,” said Reynolds. “I have two older brothers who excelled in sports and school, and I wanted something I could call my own. For some reason, I looked up goats on Google, and I decided that I wanted to get my own.”

Today, Reynolds has eleven goats that she breeds, milks, and shows most notably in 4H competitions, which are youth programs administered by the USDA.

“My goats have won Best of Breed, Grand Champion, Best Udder of Breed, and Highest Butterfat,” Reynolds said. “Raising them has helped me to be more outspoken and confident.”

As for her future, Reynolds hopes to become an English teacher, but does not put down the possibility of getting her works published and even going into the field of publishing as a profession.

To see some of her work, look out for future editions of Vox Literary Magazine, or the most recent Spring 2014 edition.