Pace Drama Alliance performs A Streetcar Named Desire

Pace+Drama+Alliance+performs+A+Streetcar+Named+Desire+

Sara Moriarty, Feature Editor

The stage was set in Briarcliff’s Woodward Hall and audiences braced themselves for a performance described as “not for the faint of heart” last Friday and Saturday.

After months of preparation and hard work, members of the Pace Drama Alliance (PDA) put on three performances of A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. The show was the second full-length play put on by PDA.

A Streetcar Named Desire was the most difficult show to produce and direct. It has truly stretched my limits as a person and director,” said director Zanali Razvi, who has produced several previous PDA performances. “Through tense rehearsals and tribulations, the cast really pulled through. They showed growth and understanding as we dived into a dark play that really tested not only our patience, but comfort zones as well.”

The play surrounds group of people in New Orleans who deal with mental, physical, and emotional trauma. Main characters, Stanley and Stella (played by Eric Medina-Rivera and Chelsea Almeida) deal with a rocky marriage and a pregnancy, and their problems are only exacerbated by Stella’s sister, Blanche (played by Meaghan Biggs) coming to stay for the summer. The characters deal with issues including domestic violence, alcoholism, and rape.

Those involved with PDA were proud of their actors for putting on a convincing performance, and the actors were happy to be able to expand their stage skills through acting out difficult scenes.

“This show was more serious than [what] we usually do in our variety shows or during general meetings, so I feel that everyone was given the chance to experiment with their acting skills,” said Medina Rivera. “It just shows how in PDA you’re given the chance to try something you’re not used to.”

Those who played supporting characters agreed.

“”I’m not an angry person, but I got to yell on stage,” LeeAnn Reynolds said of her role as Eunice Hubbell. “That was fun.”

Razvi and assistant director freshmen Megan Brown agreed that the play came together well in the end after hours of rehearsal. PDA is continuing to grow and put on more performances each year.

“It was an extremely successful show, I think, and it was mainly due to the actors’ dedication and talent,” Razvi said.

Next semester, PDA will be involved with a performance of SLUT the play at Pace. Currently, Brown is planning to direct that play and PDA is planning on providing actors. Anyone looking to get involved will be welcome.

From ticket and snack sales, PDA was able to make $500 with the Streetcar performances.