The Adam Sandler/ Netflix Deal Explained

Sandler at premier for his Netflix Original movie The Do-Over. Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

WireImage

WireImage

Janine Jones, Copy Editor

Adam Sandler is a well-known household name in the world of comedy movies. He has an impressive resume full of box office hits and between the years 1998 and 2011, almost every movie that Sandler produced and starred in made over $100 million dollars. Exceptions to this statistic are Jack and Jill, That’s My Boy, Pixels and Blended, not because they are any less than, but because not everyone can comprehend comedic genius.

Back in 2014 when Sandler signed a four-movie deal with Netflix, people didn’t really know what to expect other than good comedy. From the deal, so far we have The Ridiculous 6, The Do-Over, and Sandy Wexler.

Netflix chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, said that they decided to approach Sandler with an offer because his appeal “spans across viewers of all ages – everybody has a favorite movie, everyone has a favorite line – not just in the U.S. but all over the world.”

Two and a half years after signing the first four movie deal, with one more movie left in the first agreement, Sandler signed another four movie deal at the end of March. Which could mean that he’s done with doing movies he doesn’t really like doing. The contract renewal might also mean that from here on out he’s doing it his way, no more trying to appeal to the masses.

“Love working with Netflix and collaborating with them,” Sandler recently said in a statement via Variety. “I love how passionate they are about making movies and getting them out there for the whole world to see.”

It seems as though Sandler has found a happy home because there are no obligations or expectations. Now he just creates content for his fans, which isn’t a real problem since Netflix recently accused its users of watching over 500 million hours of Adam Sandler films since the release of The Ridiculous 6 in 2015. This number is both exciting and deeply offensive – exciting because it shows people truly do love Adam Sandler, offensive because it shows people don’t pay to see him in theaters anymore. Don’t believe it, check the box office for his last few movies, not including the glorious piece of comedy gold that is Grown Ups 2.

Though the streaming giant doesn’t usually reveal their numbers, they did reveal that The Ridiculous 6 and The Do-Over are two of its most watched original films. This deal made Adam Sandler the first major film star to bypass theaters in favor of at-home viewing. Netflix may be gearing up for a whole collection of films that will premiere with them instead of in theaters.

Do you think that more big Hollywood names will agree to make movies with Netflix? If so, who could be next?