Delta Phi Epsilon Hosts Second Annual 65 Roses Event

Cecilia Levine, Managing Editor

Delta Phi Epsilon’s co-hosted its second annual 65 Roses event with University Panhellenic Council (UPC), in which the two organizations raised a combined $3,598 dollars on Sat., March 5. All proceeds went to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the sorority’s philanthropy.

The $5 dollar event opened with a speech from Westchester County resident, Danielle Nicosia, who suffers from Cystic Fibrosis (CF). According to Delta Phi Epsilon’s website, CF is a disease that coats the nervous system and digestive tract in a thick, mucus lining, making breathing and digestion difficult. CF is one of many illnesses still with no cure.

“I hope one day ‘C.F.’ will stand not only for Cystic Fibrosis, but for ‘Cure Found,’” Nicosia said.

Guests were provided with dinner and a show as they enjoyed an Italian buffet and were entertained by performers such as sophomore singer and guitarist Ryan Shields and Pace’s step team, The 808’s. One other aspect to the event was a raffle, in which baskets of candy and gift cards were awarded to the winners.

“We raffled off 80 items,” Chapter President Nicole Telepun said. “We even had to get a gambling license.”

Telepun added that over 100 guests were at this year’s event and Pace’s Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) President Griff Timoney felt that this was one of the best Greek events this semester.

“There was a high turnout from every Greek organization and each council,” Timoney said. “Emma Katz did a great job with donations and a lot of non-Greeks are this event as well, which is great to see.”

The sorority plans on hosting the even again next year and will be doing more fundraising throughout the month of April for Relay for Life.