Robert “Bo” Jones: A Pace Freshman Inspired To Help Others

Robert+%E2%80%9CBo%E2%80%9D+Jones%3A+A+Pace+Freshman+Inspired+To+Help+Others+

SARA MORIARTY, Feature Editor

Robert “Bo” Jones, 19, wants to be a special education math teacher. Considering Jones’ love of helping others and his inspiration from those who have helped him, this career choice is not surprising.

Jones had cancer, but his desire to help others started before his diagnosis and only grew stronger after it.  His mother being a nurse, Jones spent a lot of time at a hospital as a young child. Jones’ mother and his exposure to children who had medical problems fostered his love of helping people.

“My mother was a pediatric oncology nurse and administrator at Columbia University Medical Center, and she brought my sister and I to many events for children with medical problems since we were born,” Jones, a native of Ossining, NY, said. “She made it a natural part of our lives that we should always give back and help others.”

Jones was diagnosed with medulloblastaoma, a type of brain cancer, in 2005. His cancer is now in remission.

Therapy and an optimistic attitude helped Jones recover from the cancer and from a severe surgical complication.

Jones was referred to Make-A-Wish Hudson Valley and used his wish to receive personal training lessons at Pace. Michael Bohlander, personal trainer and the strength and conditioning coordinator for the Pace football team, trained Jones and continues to do so.

“Bo Jones had plenty of other options to choose for his Make-A-Wish besides personal training,” Bohlander said. “But Bo wanted to get stronger, and he has been diligent and worked hard to achieve his goals.”

Bohlander has been training Jones since last summer. He and Jones remain close, and Jones’ training will continue with a new workout regimen that will allow him time to maintain his college responsibilities and coursework.

“Jones came to me with a great attitude and positive outlook,” Bohlander said. “It has been great working with him and seeing him progress.”

Jones feels much stronger than he did before his training began, and is grateful that he can count on Bohlander to be available to help him.

“Bohlander is very nice; I can call him at any time,” Jones said.

Jones is appreciative of the training and availability of Bohlander; in the past, some students have been just as appreciative for tutoring from Jones.

“I was in charge of tutoring all the kids who were having trouble in our earth science class in high school,” Jones said. “The teacher went very fast, so about half the class had trouble keeping up.”

Jones always puts time aside for others, but has also makes time to pursue his hobbies, including bowling and acting.

“I used to be right-handed, but I had a stroke and now I’m left handed. The first time I swung a bowling ball was the first time using my right hand again,” said Jones.

Jones was a member of the White Plains Bowl bowling team throughout his high school years. He also participated in various musicals and dramas in middleand high school.

“Acting gets me feeling like I’m a different person, wearing different shoes,” Jones said. “I can’t decide which play was my favorite in high school.”

Jones hopes to continue acting at Pace, especially since he’s familiar with the Briarcliff campus’ auditorium at Woodward Hall. Jones got the opportunity to perform stage readings with his high school drama club on the Woodward stage.

Jones continues his dedication to supporting others; he has done walks for organizations including the Maria Ferrari Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald house. A member of the Alumni Committee at the Make-A-Wish foundation, Jones plans to volunteer there whenever he can in the coming year.

For now, Jones is focusing on making the most of his college classes, with Fundamental Mathematics being the course he’s most looking forward to taking.

“I prefer math over other subjects because there’s always a reason why something leads to something else,” Jones said.

Jones, eager to pursue his dream of becoming a special education teacher, proves that with hard work and dedication, hardship can lead to opportunities and inspiration.