LGBTQA Leadership Discussion Creating Change

Cristina Ferreira, Featured Writer

Students and Pace University faculty gathered together Wednesday afternoon in Miller Hall to discuss leadership issues surrounding Pleasantville campus’ Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Allied (LGBTQA) community.

Jeff Domagala, the coordinator for leadership initiatives, introduced the topic, leading the group in a discussion about what it takes to be a successful leader. He stressed the idea that everyone has the potential, regardless of title or social status.

Students and staff offered their opinions as to what defines a leader, and what makes leaders in the LGBTQA communities specifically different from leaders in general.

One student explained that as minorities, they must “fight against oppression.” Another student explained that their experiences are distinctive, triggering a different motivation to bring about change.

However, attendants agreed that the root of every effective leader is vulnerability.

“People share to get a point across,” Domagala said. “By being vulnerable, people feel more connected. You have the ability to change a culture based on your story.”

While students discussed the qualities that make a leader, some even shared their fears.

Nursing major Jordan White, from a small town in Maryland, described her experiences at home.

Residents from her small town were never as accepting of her sexual orientation, and she was a victim of bullying in high school. Her experiences formed a fear in her when she first arrived to Pace.

White admitted that while all of the points made in the discussion were great, individuals who try to become leaders in their communities eventually become victims of violence or murder.

“It’s scary to put yourself out there,” White said. “Maybe I’m being selfish, but I feel like we all need to do it at the same time. I’m young and I’m scared.”

Rachel Simon, Pace’s new assistant director of The Department of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity and LGBTQA coordinator, considered what White had to say. However, she believes there are different approaches to creating change.

“There are ways to work in a movement without being stuck in the crosshairs,” Simon said. “You can either make improvements in someone’s life or your own life.”

The discussion came to a close after students described their experiences at Pace and how it has altered their lives for the better.

“Pace is a great place to be gay,” White said. “Here, I can be comfortable about who I am; at home, I can’t.”

What Domagala wanted each person to take away from this discussion is that true leadership stems from one’s character, core values, and identity.

“Being vulnerable is so powerful,” Domagala said. “Be genuine. Self-reflecting is super important to do.”