“Minority Report” Event Helps Students Face Problems

OLIVIA ZUCKER, Copy Editor

The Organization for Latin American Students (OLAS) held their “Minority Report” event on Monday to help minority students identify and address any adversity they might face as a result of their race or ethnicity.

Nearly 60 students and OLAS members attended the event.

The event centered on a PowerPoint presentation dealing with different problems minority students could face, such as discrimination, negative stereotyping, or even violence.

Lisbeth Parra, the president of OLAS, organized the event to try to discuss and alleviate the problems that minority students can contend with.

“We wanted to cover all the different problems minority students face around the world and on campus,” Parra said. “We want to lessen the problems and get people out of that mindset.”

The event also featured food brought in by Chipotle to highlight and emphasize the organization’s Latin American culture.

While Pace boasts a diverse student body comprised of students from many different cultures and countries, discrimination is still an issue many people face every day. How you deal with the discriminatory practices, Parra said, is all about keeping a positive outlook.

“I think your experience all depends on how you react to the situation [of discrimination],” Parra said. “If you keep secluding yourself because you feel discriminated against, it’s not going to fix anything. It all depends on your attitude about the situation.”