Alpha Chi Rho Holds Pancake Picnic

Steph Jacovino, Layout Editor

The smell of chocolate chips and syrup wafted through Kessel on Mon., Nov. 3 as the brothers of Alpha Chi Rho Fraternity (AXP) handed away free pancakes to raise awareness for the National Mucopolysaccharidosis (MPS) Society.

The National MPS Society is a national philanthropy of Alpha Chi Rho.

AXP invited students to eat pancakes and learn more about the disease to raise awareness for those affected.

“I’m very proud of my brothers for what they did with this event. MPS is a horrible disease, and people should know more about it so we can find a cure,” said AXP President, senior Trevor Walker.

The fraternity handed out three types of pancakes, complete with toppings such as strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and maple syrup. Assorted juices and milk were also provided.

“We figured that everyone loves breakfast, so why not use that to get people interested,” Walker said.

MPS is a genetic lysosomal storage disease, meaning that the body cannot produce certain enzymes that are imperative for normal functioning.

Since a body’s normal recycling process is then interrupted, materials are stored in virtually very cell in the body, severely impairing the functioning of these cells.

People with MPS can experience severe damage in their organs, respiratory system, and central nervous system. Most infected will not live into adulthood.

“It’s a very brutal disease. It’s very rare; it mainly affects males, and it’s still only in the research stage. The life expectancies of carriers is only twenty five years old,” said AXP Vice President, senior Dante Plush.

Alpha Chi Rho will continue on this awareness programming with their MPS Benefit Dinner on Fri., Nov. 7. Admittance is $5, and all proceeds will be donated to the National MPS Society.

Students can come out and learn about MPS while eating “soul food,” such as macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, and sweet potatoes.

AXP Tresurer Mitch Farrell will be presenting on the disease and educating people about preventative measures they can take, such as getting tested for the gene before conceiving. In almost every case of MPS, the child received a recessive gene from each parent.

“What I hope to see is a large group of people learning something new and important to us as an organization,” Farrell said.