Pride at Pace Hosts Fabulosity

STEPH JACOVINO, Layout Editor

Students gathered in Pace Perk on Tue., Nov. 4 to watch as Kayshana Dupuy was crowned the winner of the Fabulosity Drag Show, sponsored by Pride at Pace (formerly the Gay-Straight Alliance).

The night started off with a dialogue about transgender awareness from Tyra, a transgendered woman. She grew up in Trinidad, and has since moved to America to become an author and model.

Tyra shared her experience, and educated students on life as a transgendered woman.

“There are over 5,000 reported cases of trans murders. Most are unsolved, and most are brutal, violent murders. Many trans people are raped before they’re murdered. I never understood that. If you are so against someone’s sex, why would you want to do anything sexual with them?” she asked.

The show then continued with a performance by Tyra, followed by performances from professional entertainers. Finally, students were able to compete in the drag show portion of the event, for the chance to win a Beat Pill and $100. Seven student groups in total performed.

“When I see drag shows, everyone is so confident, so I just tried to embody that,” said performer Maya Gordon.

Many of the performers were inspired by Fabulosity events in the past.

“I came to this last year, and it seemed like a ton of fun,” said another performer, sophomore Cassie Gehan.

The judges included alumni Harrison Davies, Director of Multicultural Affairs Cornell Craig, and Sociology Professor Marie Werner.

Even Pride at Pace President Gabriel Solano performed, singing an acapella version of Adele’s “Hometown Glory.” Solano dressed in drag as well.

At the end of the night, Tyra left some advice for all in attendance.

“It’s not about being trans, or being gay, or being any of that. It’s about being human, and that’s what we have to start seeing people as–human. We have to appreciate the difference in all of us.”