SLC and Pace students enjoy the Fall Formal

Sara Moriarty, Feature Editor

The Successful Learning Center (SLC) students were happy to see some Pace friends at the first annual Fall Formal dance last Fri., Nov. 7, in Willcox Gym.

Students from the Successful Learning Center enjoyed coming to Pleasantville for the dance, which was referred to as a “homecoming” for the students and a way for them to relax, get involved, and socialize with other SLC and Pace students.

Members of GSA, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and other student volunteers spent the night dancing with and talking to SLC students who eagerly gave hugs to and took selfies with their Pace friends.

“Events like the Fall Formal help the SLC students have a full college experience,” Caitlin Kelly, coordinator for CCAR said. “The college experience includes having fun, and helping others can be fun, too. It is important for the SLC students to feel empowered by helping others.”

The students felt empowered by having a hands-on experience with preparing the dance. Members of SLC made some of the dance’s decorations at Make A Difference Day.

SLC student Ian Singer DJ-ed the event with Pace’s WPAW radio station.

John Robb, a DJ with WPAW, trained Singer to use the DJ equipment, and Singer learned quickly how to work the equipment at the Fall Formal. He was glad to be able to provide music to his SLC friends and classmates.

“It was my first real event; it was awesome,” said Singer, who took over most of the DJ-ing at the event. “My friends at SLC and Pace are proud of me for DJ-ing.”

Singer plans to continue being a DJ and to continue attending WPAW meetings.

“[WPAW] is my home base club,” Singer said. “When I graduate, hopefully I can work as a DJ. It is my big dream and goal.”

The SLC program, which used to be held in Kessel, is now held in Pace’s White Plains graduate center because of space constraints in Kessel during construction.

SLC Director Sheri Cappello is hopeful that the center can be brought back to the Pleasantville Campus by fall 2015.

“They can’t wait to come back; they miss the Pace students they hung out with during common hour,” Cappello said about the SLC students. “It would be great to have more events like this so they can get back to the campus.”

For now, Cappello and others involved with SLC are glad that the Fall Formal was a success.

“I want to thank CCAR and all the students. Without them, we couldn’t do any of this,” Cappello said. “They help our students feel like real college students.”

Pace students are welcome to visit SLC students at Pace’s White Plains Graduate Center on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 10 am to 2:30 pm. The students, according to Kelly, would love to be visited by their Pace friends.

“SLC is one of the greatest things at Pace,” said Sandra Gomes, a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma who has been involved with SLC and attended the Fall Formal. “More people should be involved with the program. The students are amazing and so enthusiastic about life.”