Weekends at Chartwells

Breakfast food that had been sitting out in Kessel till at least 1:30 p.m. on Friday 10/2.

Amelia Gilmer, Featured Writer

Saturdays and Sundays are two very difficult days for me when I’m looking for food to eat. Unlike what the management at Kessel seems to think, many students including myself do not sleep until one o’clock on weekends. At one o’clock, just like any other day of the week, I’m looking to have lunch. And for me, lunch does not consist of eggs and muffins that have been sitting around since 11 a.m.

While I’m sure that there are some students who enjoy having this extremely late breakfast, I am definitely not one of them. There have been many Saturday’s where I would go to Kessel around 2:30 p.m. expecting there to be some non-breakfast items at the hot food station available, but that, sadly, has not been the case. Instead of there being food that actually fits the scheduled time of 2:30 in the afternoon, there is food that is generally eaten around 11:00 at the latest by most people.

What Chartwells fails to realize is that their idea of college students sleeping in super late on the weekends is extremely false. Yes, there are students who stay up late the night before and do sleep in past noon. But there are also many students who are up doing productive things well before 12 p.m.

I myself have had work on Sunday mornings for the past year, starting before 9:00 on some days and ending after 12 p.m. Unfortunately for me and anyone else who works a morning shift on the weekends, Kessel doesn’t even open until 11 a.m. on Sundays meaning that people can be working for hours without having food available for them.

It’s not just people who have work either. There are numerous athletic teams that have practice in the morning. I know that I have seen athletes walking back from practice while I’m on my way into work and that’s before 10:30 a.m. That means that these athletes, who have been working out all morning burning calories, aren’t able to get food for another half hour. Not only is this unhealthy, it just doesn’t make sense.

I know an argument for not opening before 11 a.m. on Sunday is that there are places in town for people to eat but what people fail to realize is that not everybody can afford to go out and eat every weekend, even with flex dollars. The average amount of flex dollars a person has a semester is 100 dollars. If I were to go to the diner every weekend, I would quickly run out of this money. And why would I want to spend real money on food when I’ve already had to pay 1,500 dollars for a meal plan?

The lack of proper dining hall hours on weekends plus the improper food during the day is unhealthy and not something that should be happening on a college campus. Students are on campus 24 hours a day and we should be able to get the food we want and need at the proper times.