Cooking with Kevin Features Holiday Cookies

Jessica Alba/The Pace Chronicle

Students shape their cookies at Cooking with Kevin.

JESSICA ALBA, Featured Writer

A dozen students gathered on Thurs., Nov. 19 in the dining area of the Kessel Student Center for Cooking with Kevin, a new program from dining services designed to give students small cooking lessons every few weeks.

Kevin Henriquez, Senior Director of Dining for Chartwells at Pace, has begun hosting cooking lessons this semester as a way to give something fun and educational for students to do in between classes and other activities. Henriquez, a graduate of the French Culinary Institute, loves to cook and decided that students may want to learn some cooking skills while still in college.

“I started Cooking with Kevin back when I was at the College of Mount Saint Vincent and the program became very popular there,” said Henriquez on the origin of his lessons. “Some nights we got up to 25 students, so I thought it would be a good idea to bring the program back to life.”

With most students now on Pleasantville, and the consolidation process well underway, the Master Plan has eliminated the need for two dining halls. Having one location to work with was a factor that made Cooking with Kevin feasible at Pace.

“I want to give students a fun time killer where they can also learn something,” Henriquez said. “I know finals are coming up soon so this is a good way to relax with friends before exams start. And who doesn’t love free food?”

With those motivations in mind, the recipes are intentionally easy so that college students could replicate the steps themselves in their residence halls. The food also changes with each lesson, so students are always learning something new. The previous session featured pasta-making.

Based on student feedback, it seems Henriquez appears to be reaching his goal.

“I get to make fun holiday cookies while spending time with my roommate,” freshman Grace Antinori said. “It’s a really great way to bond.”

One of the most exciting parts for students about Cooking with Kevin was that attendees got to be involved in every step of the cookie-making process, and Henriquez generously shared his tips and tricks to getting the best cookies along each step of the way. He began with how to properly crack an egg and ended with what thickness to look for in your cookie.

“Make sure you roll your dough out on confectioners’ sugar, not flour,” he told the class. “Otherwise you get a bitter aftertaste.”

While some students opted for a classic, simple looking treat, most would agree that the fan favorite for the night was a mini teddy bear cookie cutter. Once they were out of the oven, the decorating table was full of tiny bears waiting to be glazed and sprinkled.

“Decorating’s the best part,” freshman Corinna Sciarappa said.

Sciarappa and her friends had seen signs for Cooking with Kevin in Kessel and decided to stop by to see what it was all about.
“If I get the chance,” Sciarappa said, “I’ll definitely go to more.”

ROLLOUT SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE

• 5 cups flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 pound butter
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 eggs

Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer. Once creamed together, add salt, vanilla, baking powder and eggs. Mix together until everything is well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and add about half of the flour. Mix until the first half is mixed in, then add the rest. Mix well. Extra additions like cinnamon or chocolate chips can be added at this point. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before cutting out cookies and baking for 8 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown. If you want to decorate your cookies, make sure you let them cool completely before starting. Enjoy!