Starbucks-Style Café Opens in Alumni

SHANE KERTANIS, Featured Writer

The lobby of Alumni Hall has seen many new faces this past week coming to the new café, which opened on November 14. Since then, it has started discussion amongst the students, who question the new shop’s authenticity given its unique blend of Starbucks coffee with Chartwells food.

Despite these comments, students have mostly expressed their positivity towards the café, and the location—right beneath where students sleep—is second to none.

Senior Director of Dining Services Kevin Henriquez had nothing but good things to say about the opening of the café.
“It adds diversity among food options, and we plan to expand the meals we sell,” Henriquez said. “Coffee sales are shifting from Kessel to Alumni quickly, but it’s expected.”

Regardless of where the coffee comes from, students are very satisfied with its taste. Student Marco Guariglia said, “This is Starbucks coffee, you just cannot mimic their Frappuccino’s.”

Students added that Starbucks was an incentive to wake up earlier and beat the rush for coffee in the morning. Those loyal members who consume Starbucks every day will be pleased to hear of frequency cards. Identical to Kessel’s burrito and grill frequency cards, the café offers a free tenth coffee for every 9 previously purchased.
A question that needs to be addressed is whether the new shop is going to change its hours. Current hours stand as Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“The café is delicious, but the only inconvenience is the fact it closes at four,” freshman Greg Neilson said.

Henriquez said the issue of longer hours is being discussed.

“At this point we are analyzing sales and debating the pros and cons of extended hours,” Henriquez said.
The next few weeks will determine how long the café is open.

Aside from being a hot spot to drink coffee and eat, this new business adds to a growing social environment at Pace. From athletes to commuters, you can be sure to find a variety of the student body enjoying what Starbucks has to offer.
“We want [the café] to be a place where students and faculty will go out of their way to be satisfied,” Henriquez sais. “We have high hopes for growth and convenience of this shop.”