Student Gains Emotional Support And More From Greek Life

Sister of Nu Zeta Phi Felicia Robcke. Courtesy of Felicia Robcke.

Lia Tassinari, Copy Editor

Greek life did more for Felicia Robcke than she ever could have anticipated.

Robcke, a member of Pace University’s Nu Zeta Phi sorority, attended the Quarter Auction event, held by the Sigma Iota Chi sorority, to raise money to afford its insurance on Thursday night in the Gottesman room of Kessel.

Even though the event was mandatory for Robcke, and 50% of the sororities in the University Panhellenic Council, the junior Communications major was happy to be there.

“I came [to the event] because it was to support another organization and their philanthropy,” Robcke said. “I figured it’d be a good cause and it was a lot of fun. I’ve never been to a quarter event before so I wanted to also try something new.”

However, while many students at Pace join sororities and fraternities to simply be involved on campus, or to put more on their resume, Robcke is grateful for her sorority because it has provided more opportunities for her than she could have ever dreamed.

“It’s like a support system and I really wanted a support system,” the Robcke said. “When I was in high school, I had my marching band and my twirling team as my support system and I didn’t have that coming to Pace. Once I joined Greek life, I had that support system.”

Having a strong support system is important to Robcke, who was diagnosed with dyslexia in the third grade. Robcke admitted that her learning disability hampered her academically in high school. However, she was adamant to not let it continue to affect her once she was accepted to Pace.

After she joined her sorority, Robcke immediately became involved on campus. She is currently Nu Zeta Phi’s Philanthropy Chair, where she hosts and creates events to raise money for her sorority’s philanthropy – breast cancer. She and the sorority recently raised $500 for their “Think Pink” fashion show.

However, those are not Robcke’s only achievements in regards to her sorority. She also landed an internship at the Jerry Springer and Steve Wilkos shows through her connections to Greek life.

“I would have never gotten that opportunity [without Greek life],” the junior said. “The resume I had before was nothing compared to what it is now. This semester and this internship boosted my resume so much that now I have the opportunity to have other internships because of Greek life.”

As of now, Robcke is undecided about where she wants to take her Communications degree once she graduates. However, she is open to “anything” within the field. She is even open to becoming an educator and help young children who struggle with dyslexia.

Nonetheless, happiness is a priority to Robcke and she remains grateful for Pace’s Greek life community for all of her positive experiences and opportunities that it has offered her on and off campus.

“My greatest accomplishment is that I’m here, I’m involved on campus, and I’m happy,” the Nu Zeta Phi sister said.