Study Abroad Series: Featuring Alexa Cozzoli

Elise Adams, Layout Editor

Learning about the different cultures and traditions around the world interested Alexa Cozzoli the first time she left the U.S. on a trip to Greece with her family. Studying abroad in London, England in the Spring of 2016 opened Cozzoli’s eyes to what life is really like on the other side of the world.

“I had always wanted to study abroad and the application process was really easy at Pace,” Cozzoli said. “I chose London because I was going alone, and didn’t want there to be too much of a language barrier wherever I went. I don’t speak another language, so England was the best place for me.”

Although London was Cozzoli’s new home for four months, she traveled throughout Europe to Italy, France, Hungary and Ireland.

“I took full advantage of the cheap flights around Europe. I especially loved going to Italy, Venice and Rome were so beautiful,” Cozzoli said.

The biggest challenge for the Long Island native, however, was finding a place to grocery shop near her dorm. She was surprised a big city like London did not have bodegas on every corner like New York City does.

Cozzoli strongly recommends that students who have any urge to travel should study abroad.

“I had the best time going abroad, I wish I could go again. I think that studying abroad is an opportunity to explore part of the world in a way that you never will be able to again,” Cozzoli said. “When you’re a student abroad you have so much time to sightsee and explore, it was so much fun. For example, I’ll probably never be able to take a weekend trip to Budapest again.”

Comparing London to New York, Cozzoli thinks people seem happier in England. She felt the students were friendlier and most people seemed to be outgoing, which helped her make friends quickly.

She also loves English accents and getting tea, so she fit right in.

“I also really liked the dorms at The University of Westminster; I had a single so it was nice to just have space for myself,” said Cozzoli. “The classes were also pretty laid back, we did a lot of group work and I never had too much homework.”

The advertising and integrated marketing major enjoyed being legal to drink alcohol overseas and not stressing about if you will get into a bar or not.

“It was so nice going out to a bar and being legal, it’s way less stressful and I can’t wait for April when I turn 21,” Cozzoli said.

Seeing Big Ben, riding the London Eye, visiting Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London and the London Bridge were just a few things Cozzoli did while in England.

“If you’re thinking of studying abroad, do it! You won’t regret it and you’ll experience so much. If I could go again I would, to the South of Asia,” Cozzoli said.