Delta Kappa Epsilon Hosts Drunk Scooter Game

Adiba Sikder

Students testing out the scooters

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

Students bumped and crashed into each other at the “Drunk Driving Scooter Game” event, which was hosted by Delta Kappa Epsilon.

The four-hour-long event began with the fraternity members setting up an inflatable obstacle course and vision-blocking goggles for students to feel the simulation of being drunk.

Although the setup took longer than originally expected, the event did not fail to portray their message to students.

This game was planned last semester and the goal was to teach students about the dangers of drunk driving in a safe, yet fun environment.

“We wanted a new way to raise awareness for the cause and this hasn’t been done before so we thought it was a great way for everyone to have fun and learn,” said Irwin Narayan, President of Delta Kappa Epsilon.

Delta Kappa Epsilon’s philanthropy is Vision Zero: a multi-national road traffic safety project to end deaths on the road and to enforce safety laws. They host events every semester in order to promote the cause.

Students were given refreshments in order to mingle with their friends and were then given a pair of goggles and a scooter in groups with their friends in order to show how easy it can be to crash into someone or something.

Several students came out to spend time with their friends and support the brothers of the fraternity. However, there were several students that came out because they have been personally affected by drunk driving.

“My uncle died from drunk driving. He was driving back late one night, falling asleep at the wheel and missed the exit and tried to turn on to it,” said Monty Banevicius, a brother of Delta Kappa Epsilon.

Other students were there because they were afraid of the idea that this could happen to their close friends because of the number of occurrences of college students drinking and driving.

“One of my very close friends was so drunk one night, drove and woke up to see that her car had dents in it and her rear was literally ripped off. I’m against it because I want everyone I care about to be safe,” said Serena Herrera, a sophomore at Pace.

When walking in to the event, participants felt confident that they would be able to go through the obstacle course without bumping in to the inflatable borders set up for them.

However, after going through the obstacle course several students changed their minds and realized how uncomfortable they would feel to not be aware of their surroundings while driving drunk.

“If you can’t drive a scooter with drunk goggles, why would you be able to drive a car while under the influence?,” said Nicholas Blandino, sophomore at Pace.