A “Lit” Start to Homecoming

The+bonfire+at+this+year%27s+%22Celebrate%22+event.+Photo+by+Emily+Bresnahan.+
The bonfire at this year's

The bonfire at this year's "Celebrate" event. Photo by Emily Bresnahan.

Emily Bresnahan, Feature Writer

The annual “Celebrate!” event for homecoming is always a hit with Pace University students. Who doesn’t love a large bonfire, free food, and a DJ? The parking lots behind Wilcox Hall were overtaken by students, filling the lot to enjoy the event.

The bonfire has been a staple of homecoming for many years, alongside the Step and Stroll competition and, of course, the football game. Its unique feel brings in many students, and creates a sense of community on campus.

The event kicked off with the lighting of the massive bonfire as students filed in from the parade that started at Goldstein Fitness Center, and soon after, the lines started to form for three completely free food truck vendors. Options included a variety of desserts, pizza, burgers, and hot dogs; exactly what you would expect to eat at a homecoming celebration.

Similar to many homecoming celebrations, the Pace University dance team and cheer team performed to get students excited for their half-time show at Saturday’s football game. Francesca McLiverty, a sophomore nursing major on the dance team, loves the excitement the event brings. “A lot of people don’t really pay attention of acknowledge the spirit squad, so to have the spotlight on us was really nice!”

Sedona Trellevik, a sophomore Psychology and member of the dance team likes “how it brings Pace together; [the bonfire] makes it feel as if the school is coming together as one.”

After the dance and cheer team both performed, it was the students time to take on the dance floor. Students lined the parking lot like a dance floor to take on popular line dances such as “The Cupid Shuffle” and the “Electric Slide.” The night seemed to go by quickly while students mingled, ate, and danced.

Another exciting aspect of the Celebrate event is the banner contest, with the winning team receiving a $500 cash prize!  President of Martin Hall’s Resident Hall Council, Joe Cirruzzo, helped with their banner showcasing a large football, and the hall’s name. “Even though we didn’t win the competition,” stated Ciruzzo, “it put us in the homecoming spirit, and it was really cool to get together to make something for the school.”