Pace Hosts Joe Marson

Photo courtesy of Twitter

Photo courtesy of Twitter

Paolo Ferreira, Feature Writer

Pace University’s Programming Board had a special guest singer come to visit and preform. Joe Mason is a contemporary soul-singing artist with guitar playing ability. Joe Marson has been playing and creating music for 15 years and continues to love what he does. He started singing when he was just a teen and continues to try and move people through his voice.

“I want my music to have an overcoming vibe and just let everyone know it’s okay,” he said.

Growing up, Marson suffered from depression and is a huge advocate for positive and overcoming thinking. As the show went on, he sang some of his own written music and also covered some other music. Marson has performed all around the world and enjoys sharing his talent and stories with others.

He loves jazz music and Hip-hop to listen to but he sings very smooth and soulful music and said he wants his listeners to know “it’s authentic” because “when I sing I try to convey how I felt or continue to feel.”

Joe Marson was heavily motivated by Ben Harper’s music and how he carries himself and ultimately then decided to become a singer. When traveling around the world, he has met some of the people that have pushed him. Another inspiration for him is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which he has a tattoo of their logo on his forearm, who influenced him when he was young and he had the opportunity to meet them. When growing up in San Diego, California, he did move a lot but when he decided to become a musician his first goal was to learn, “Under the Bridge” by who other than the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Learning what he thinks is “the perfect song” and is the most transcending songs in popular music because of its soul and depth.

After talking to Joe Marson, you will realize he is so passionate about his love for music and wants everyone to connect with his emotions. Jeff Buckley also inspired him for every genre he has played and appreciates his range in styles. With someone with his passion and creativity, to find a way to overcome his limitations and find out that he’s truly doing what he loves and it shows.