High Definition Hosts Speed Dating

Photo by Adiba Sikder

Photo by Adiba Sikder

Photo by Adiba Sikder

Adiba Sikder, Feature Editor

Students raced to get to know one another in an effort to meet a new love interest or make a new friend at High Definition’s Speed Dating event in Gottesman on Monday.

Students were given name tags marked with their names and a specific color to show sexuality and were asked to shift seats to the left every three minutes. The tables were covered with notes of things to say in case there was an awkward silence. Surveys were handed out so that people could be matched with other people at the end.

During the first fifteen minutes of the event, students were silent and didn’t have much to say to each other, however, that changed towards the end of the end.

“A lot of us have too much going on and don’t have enough time to meet a new love interest or to make a new friend because we’re too caught up in our own responsibilities,” said Gariel Spears, president of High Definition.

However, although the goal for High Definition was to give everyone a chance to talk to everyone, students started getting comfortable with each other and stopped switching seats.

“ I saw that some people were just getting along with each other really well so I didn’t bother sitting there. I felt like I was intruding and I didn’t want to get in the way of two people potentially finding their best friend or love,” said Israel Vargas, a junior at Pace.

Some students were not sure what to expect out of this event and came in with the least amount of expectations possible.

“I had no expectations at all. I ended up meeting new people which was fun,” said John Vasilik, a sophomore at Pace.

Many students were pleasantly surprised of the outcomes of the speed dating event and believe that they made strong connections with the people they met.

“I’m a commuter so it’s hard to meet people and make permanent friends. I don’t really see people outside of class so I felt as though I was able to meet new people to possibly hang out with,” said Mike Pena, a freshman at Pace.

Students were asked to find who they matched with according to the surveys they filled out and exchange numbers and conversation.

Some students left immediately after the event, however, a majority stayed afterwards in order to meet their match and make plans for the following weekend.

“The person I matched with texted me almost immediately. I’m going to try to hang out with her, I hope I don’t get too busy,” said Kaila Williams, a junior at Pace.