Pi Lambda Phi Helps Stir Controversial Conversation During You v 49 Fundraiser

Adiba Sikder

Gjek Vukelj, brother of Pi Lambda Phi and host for You v 49

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

The brothers of Pi Lamba Phi used their fun demeanor and comedic questions in order to make learning about prejudice and the elimination of prejudice entertaining for students during their annual You v 49 fundraiser event on Wednesday in Willcox Hall.

Students were required to donate five dollars to enter and, in exchange, received tickets to enter the raffle in order to win one of five possible prizes: a movie, a Pace sweatshirt, a Samsung Television, and a Bluetooth speaker. Students were also given the option to pay additional money for more raffle tickets.

All of the proceeds of the event were donated towards the fraternity’s philanthropy, the elimination of prejudice.

The goal of this event was to help raise awareness to the definition of prejudice and the obstacles that groups that are considered minorities in America have overcome.

“It’s about opening your eyes to these kinds of situations” said Gjek Vukelj, brother of Pi Lamba Phi. “Yes, it’s 2018 and there’s a lot less prejudice than there used to be but there’s a lot of backlash and a lot of prejudice that people get just for being themselves.”

The fraternity members believe that there are many common misconceptions when it comes to prejudice and that often people perceive it to be about the problems that are arisen by the media.

“A lot of the ones [prejudices] that we associate with the word are just the tip of the iceberg,” said John Watson, a brother of Pi Lambda Phi.

When the game started, students were given 49 trivia questions with a mixture of witty, general knowledge questions and questions related to Pi Lambda Phi’s philanthropy with breaks in between to see who won the raffles.

Students began engaging in controversial conversations with each other during the general knowledge questions on topics such as being prejudice against oneself, women’s rights, and internalized racism.

“I think we need to have more conversations and have more events like this. We live in a time where people still face prejudice and it has a real effect on them monetarily, socially, and mentally,” said David Mulcahy, freshman at Pace.

The brothers of Pi Lambda Phi encourage students that are experiencing prejudice or see their peers experience it to be courageous and take action.

There are several resources on campus for students to contact if one is experiencing prejudice and want to take action and prevent it from happening to others. Some of the resources are Resident Assistants, the Counseling Center, Pace FIRE, deans, and Pace security.

“Just treat everyone the way you want to be treated. It’s the golden rule, it’s what everyone learns as they’re growing up,” said Jeremy Langdale, brother of Pi Lambda Phi.