Pace University partners with Ellen DeGeneres for ‘One Million Acts of Good’ campaign

The+line+extends+into+the+hall+outside+Butcher+Suite+to+sign+into+the+event+

The line extends into the hall outside Butcher Suite to sign into the event

Christina Bubba

Christina Bubba

Christina Bubba

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

“One Million Acts of Good” campaign, created by activist and comedian Ellen DeGeneres, partnered with Cheerios and Chartwells food services to spread kindness throughout the nation. Pace was one of seven schools in the Northeast Metro area selected to participate in this campaign.

Nearly 150 Pace students crowded into Butcher Suite in the Kessel Student Center on Feb.26 to participate in Pace’s spin on an ‘act of good’.

Pace’s act of good was to create 300 ‘matter boxes,’ orange boxes loaded with baggies of food samples, to fight food insecurity in the community.

More than a dozen Pace-affiliated-organizations participated, including event host Pace Cooks and Bakes, several athletic teams and Greek organizations, along with the cheerleading squad and dance team. The mix of students bonded through cereal breaks, rambunctious conversation, and off-tune singing while filling the baggies.

“It’s really important to stay connected to the community and for family’s who are suffering to have the same food and things that we take for granted every day,” softball player Meagan Wells said.

Cheerios donated materials to fill 300 matter boxes that were filled with handwritten, inspirational notes constructed by students, a Nature Valley bar, and apple sauce and peanut butter samples. The two food stations on either side of Butcher Suite and two tables in the back dedicated to notes of kindness were packed with students bumping into each other from end to end. Once the bags were filled, matter boxes were packed with the baggies of food, handwritten notes, and a box of Cheerios.

“This is a great way to sponsor and appreciate security situations in New York and the whole country,” regional director of Chartwells Peter Bonacci said.

The 300 bags were complete in a half hour, ending the event an hour and a half early.

“Amazing,” Senior Director of Dining Services with Chartwells, Kevin Henriquez said. “I’ve been at Pace for five and a half years and this is the most community participation I’ve ever seen at any event.”

Butcher Suite was suddenly vacant by 9:45 p.m. besides the abundance of matter boxes being filled by Chartwells staff and Pace Cooks and Bakes members. A few students decided to stay after because, according to freshman Katie Doyle, “there’s still work to be done.”

“No one expected this big of a turnout,” secretary of Pace Cooks and Bakes, Dana Prisco said. “Food just brings people together.”

The Matter Boxes were distributed around the Westchester county community and 50 boxes were distributed on the streets of New York City on Tuesday.

“It’s a good feeling knowing that you can make an impact on others,” freshman Madyllene Rodrigues said.

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in Public Relations. On campus, I am Feature Editor of the Pace Chronicle, a part of the Cheerleading...