Vincent Simpson Strives to Become a ‘Face of Pace’

Christina Bubba, Editor-in-Chief

Pace University’s Goldstein Gymnasium is usually split down the middle on Tuesday night, with intramural basketball players filling one half and cheerleaders occupying the other. So it turned heads when a basketball player made his way over to the cheer mats and asked to learn how to “do flips.”

Outgoing health science major and sophomore, Vincent Simpson, can always be found energetically bouncing around campus, busy finding ways to get involved and encouraging others to join him.

“Its all about getting as may experiences as you can,” Simpson said. “And I always wanted to learn how to do flips, so why not?”

Simpson is a part of seven different clubs, organizations, and teams on campus. He is Vice President of Finance for the Residential Housing Association (RHA) and Vice President for the fraternity Alpha Phi Delta (APD). He is a part of basketball and football intramural teams and is very involved in residential life. Simpson is passionate about Pace and all it has to offer, so he encourages others to become Setters by working as a tour guide.

Although he is extremely involved on campus, Simpson regrets not being involved during his time in high school.

“At the end of the day, college isn’t a resume builder, but a time to do everything you can to make you a better person,” said Simpson.

He was enthusiastic as he described his hopes to one day see himself on the “Face of Pace” posters that surround the campus. Students on these posters are those with many involvements and accomplishments in their major. With a well rounded list of involvements, Simpson is well on his way to becoming a face of Pace.

“If you make it up there, it means you accomplished a lot,” Simpson said. “I want to be someone who can set a good example.”

To reach this goal, he maintains a busy weekly schedule that consists of class every day, three days of work, four meetings, and about 2 intramural games.

“Vince is someone who has the drive and passion to make a difference at Pace,” APD President Joey Lopergolo said. “He’s always respectful, responsible, and has a talent for making people laugh…”

With high expectations for himself, Simpson always aspired to be the first to accomplish certain things. He expresses his adoration for previous president Barack Obama, the first black president, and how he looked to him as a role model.

“As a kid, I wanted to be the first one in my family to graduate college,” Simpson said.

To reach that goal, Simpson fostered a close relationship with his freshman advisor, Eileen Murphy who helped him pick a major suited for him.

“Vincent knew it was important [picking a major] and he wanted to make sure he graduates on time,” Murphy said.

Simpson keeps himself busy on campus, but makes time to go home at least once every two weeks to see his little brother who he acts as a mentor to.

“It’s really important to me because I want him to have a father figure and know right from wrong without having to go through it himself,” Simpson said.

Helping people has always been something Simpson was passionate about, whether it was for his community service he completed in high school, taking care of his younger brother, or being a good example to his peers.

“[Vince] is always ready to help anyone that needs him; seeing all he’s done with APD so far, he’s always ready to help anyone that needs him…”

When Simpson isn’t busy with his activities or helping people, he can be found on the cheer mats perfecting the landing of his backflip.