Delta Phi Epsilon Hosts Fundraising Event for Cystic Fibrosis

Cynthia Andrade, member of Delta Phi Epsilon, singing Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb” at 65 Roses, the sorority’s annual fundraising gala.

Stefano Ausenda, Contributing Editor

While the rest of Pace’s Pleasantville Campus was seemingly empty on Friday, March 30, Kessel’s Gottesman Room was very much vibrant and alive; thanks to Delta Phi Epsilon sorority hosting their annual fundraising Gala for Cystic Fibrosis, entitled “65 Roses.”

Sisters sported very chic dresses for the event. To commemorate the sorority’s final event of the semester, senior sisters wore red while all the others wore black.

After everyone got settled, the sisters opened the event by playing a poem written by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Oklahoma entitled “Breathe,” which detailed the heartbreak and struggle of living with such a terrible disease, day in and day out.

Students then performed moving songs for the audience. Sarah Volkman of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority, accompanied by Joe Kelly on guitar, sang Post Malone’s “I Fall Apart,” with Cinthia Andrade singing a Karaoke rendition of Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb,” to which all the other sisters eventually joined in on.

Attendees got the opportunity to win an array of raffle ticket prizes, from expensive gift baskets to a GoPro camera. By far the most coveted prizes, however, were the weekend beach getaway prizes and an Apple TV.

After the songs were sung, the food eaten, and the prizes given out, the sisters were all given roses (hence the event’s namesake), and participated in a photo shoot.

Students like Pace sophomore Imani Williams enjoyed how attendees got the opportunity to win prizes, and the fact that all of the money made was going to a good cause.

“The most rewarding thing about being part of Delta Phi Epsilon,” Pace senior Cathryn Neil says, “is getting to host all of our events and having so many people come out and support them [and us], and also getting to bond with all of my sisters.”

Delta Phi Epsilon is dedicated to inclusiveness, serving the common good, and raising awareness for diseases like Anorexia Nervosa and Cystic Fibrosis.