Phi Sigma Sigma Hosts Annual Sexy Legs Competition

Contestants+of+Phi+Sigma+Sigma%27s+annual+Sexy+Legs+Competition+waiting+to+hear+who+the+winner+is.+
Contestants of Phi Sigma Sigma's annual Sexy Legs Competition waiting to hear who the winner is.

Adiba Sikder

Adiba Sikder

Adiba Sikder, Feature Editor

Students hollered and cheered for students with the sexiest legs at Phi Sigma Sigma’s annual event “Sexy Legs” in an effort to raise money for children in need that cannot afford an education Gottesman on Wednesday.

When first entering the event, students were given the option for a possible raffle and were asked to get food and sit at any table they wanted.

The participants of the “Sexy Legs” competition were covered from the waist up and walked across a stage when their introduction was given.

In order to avoid having the judges vote for their friends, the names of the participants were kept anonymous.

The Sexy Leg’s competition was inclusive and did not discriminate when it came to accepting people for their competition.

Several of the participants were men, some people wore long pants rather than shorts, and they wore the shoes that they felt comfortable wearing on stage.

Although the name of the competition is “Sexy Legs” there were more factors that went in to the judge’s opinion on them winning.

“I was really looking for that wow factor. It wasn’t just about their legs, it was about what they did on stage and their personality when they are up there ,” said Carlos Mercedes-Meran, graduate student for Pace and Sexy Leg’s judge.

Many of the students found the banter between the hosts and their comments about the contestants hilarious.

“The sassy comments the hosts made was my favorite part,” said Luis A. Guzman, student at Pace. “I really appreciate these kinds of events, they really help you relax and have fun.”

When the host Marcela Maxi, sister of Phi Sigma Sigma said “Thick thighs save lives,” the entire room was filled with extremely loud laughter and funny comments among one another.

Some of the participants acknowledge that the competition could possibly be considered controversial but believe that event is inclusive and diverse and worked with everyone’s comfort level.

“I’m sure in some minds and some areas this could be considered controversial and maybe more now with the current political landscape, however for the most part this space is an open and accepting place,” said David Mulcahy, freshman at Pace.

Some students chose to break typical gender stereotypes and wore something that would make them stand out.

“I wore heels and a skirt and painted my nails so that was pretty lit,” said Mulcahy.