Third consecutive Sexology event held by Pride at Pace

Pride+at+Pace+welcomes+everyone+to+learn+about+safe+sex+

Pride at Pace welcomes everyone to learn about safe sex

Christina Bubba, Editor-in-Chief

Sex toy raffles, free condoms, and Chipotle burritos were three of the main reasons why over 150 Pace University students spent their Wednesday night at Pride at Pace’s Sexology event.

This is the third consecutive year this event has taken place in the Gottesman room in the Kessel Student Center.

Seven organizations were represented at tables that lined the room, each offering sex education in differing ways. These organizations included: Pace University Health Care, My Sister’s Place, Pride at Pace, POWER! (women empowerment intersectional feminist group), Fighting Ignorance and Rape with Education (FIRE), LGBTQA Center, and Pride Works. These are all local, on-campus groups that helped support healthy sex education. The information they offered ranged from pamphlets with instructions on how to properly use a condom, to where to go for STD testing on campus.

“As this is our first year as an organization, [being here] is special to us because it falls in line with our values,” POWER! Representative Valerie Eristil said. “This is one of my favorite events of the year.”

Upon arrival, students were presented a raffle that they could enter to win a sex toy prize in, as long as they filled out the required 12 stamps. Stamps were provided by each of the seven tables, but from there, students had to find various people with different levels of sex education for stamps.

“It [sex education] was very scientific for me,” Jessika Pietryka said. “I don’t think anyone ever even mentioned an orgasm.”

To complete their stamp collections, students had to find someone who had great sex education, someone who had terrible sex education, someone who knows how to use an internal/female condom, an e-board member of Pride at Pace, and also had a free space for anyone to stamp.

“It’s interesting to have this event… Students come to this space with so many resources, yet it’s still so fun,” Pride at Pace Public Relations Representative, Brittany Taubamn said.

E-board members of Pride at Pace picked 11 completed raffle tickets out every half hour, giving away a total of 44 prizes. There were a variety of prizes offered, ranging from dildos to handcuffs.

“I think the raffle prizes are diverse and give good options for both male and females,” Pride at Pace President, Jamara Myers said.

People come to college with different backgrounds, experiences, and different levels of sex education. This event was meant to be a comfortable spot for students to learn, ask questions, and not feel uncomfortable about it.

“It is a good space to ask experts and peers for advice,” Pride at Pace advisor Rachel Simon said. “Especially if you had bad sex education.”