RHA Promotes Diversity Through Cultural Showcase

The Organization of Latin American Studies (OLAS) was well-represented at the Cultural Showcase on Miller Lawn on Friday night. Photo by Adiba Sikder.

Adiba Sikder, Feature Editor

Resident’s Hall Association hosted their Cultural Showcase on Miller Lawn on Friday in order to promote cultural organizations on campus.

Several students came out to the lawn with their friends and alone in order to dance and eat different kinds of foods that the different organizations had on their tables.

“I really loved this event tonight. They played a lot of great music and I feel like there was a lot of culture here tonight that we don’t always see on campus,” said Stephanie Simoes, junior at Pace.

Many of the organizations and clubs had their tables decorated and had information about the events they host as well as what they do in their meetings in order to promote diversity. They also had fun games on their tables in order to promote their tables.

“We really want students to get involved on campus and get more information on all the clubs, not just the ones that everyone already knows about,” said Cassidy Caroselli, president of RHA.

Several students went around to tables and asked questions about the organizations and their role on campus, picking up flyers and putting down their contact information.

There were several breaks in the middle of the event for students and organization members to dance and stroll to certain songs that were popular.

Although this event originated as a different way for students to get involved on campus, it ended up being a different approach to promote the diversity that exists on campus.

“I feel as though our campus is diverse but it’s not always represented all the time. We are definitely changing and slowly becoming more diverse and o think if students get more involved in cultural organizations it can help make that process faster,” said Michele Hilton, member of SOCA.

Several cultural Greek organizations came out to show their support for the event and to promote their sorority or fraternity.

Many of these organizations may be based off of one culture but are open to anyone that wants to be a part of it. They do not exclude anyone that wants to join their sorority or fraternity.

“It’s so nice to see the diversity on campus and to see so many students curious about these clubs. I’m excited to see the future of diversity at Pace,” said Caroselli.

At the end of the night, students continued dancing and talking to different members of clubs and organizations until the tables were cleared and the night was over.

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

My name is Adiba Sikder and I'm a senior double majoring in digital journalism and digital cinema and filmmaking. I've always valued stories and storytelling....