WPAW hosts McDonald’s themed Open Mic Night

Several WPAW e-board members wore McDonald’s costumes at the Open Mic Night event. Photo by Adiba Sikder.

Adiba Sikder, Feature Editor

McDonald’s, clowns, and music created an animated combination at WPAW’s open mic night at Boudreau Lounge on Thursday.

Over 500 burgers, fries, McNuggets, and sliders drew in a decent crowd of hungry students trying to de-stress from final exams and projects that needed to get done.

Several of the new e-board members of WPAW were seen walking around in costumes related to McDonald’s in some form and started singing and dancing when music was playing or when someone went up to perform.

Stickers and keychains surrounded every table that students were sitting at in order to advertise and market their companies.

As soon as the food was placed down on to the tables, students came rushing to swipe in and grab a sandwich and either left as soon as they had food or stuck around for a little while when the DJ and the new president of WPAW put on a new song.

“I’ve always had an appreciation for McDonald’s. It’s a cheap option, it’s comfort food, and it’s always opened late,” said Blake Rozelle, the upcoming president of WPAW.

The entire lounge was rearranged and set up in order to ensure that the audience can see the performer and had easy access to the McDonald’s treats.

“I absolutely love McDonald’s, when I heard that they had cheeseburgers and McNuggets in Kessel, I could not run fast enough to grab one before they were gone,” said Kaila Williams, junior at Pace.

WPAW is working towards building stronger connections with students and other organizations on campus so that the Pace community can use WPAW as a resource for their own creative ideas for podcasts and to get involved at their events.

Many students that are currently involved with WPAW and were previously a part of the club, have great things to say and believe that if more students were aware that Pace has a radio show, they would be heavily involved.

“When I went to my first WPAW meeting, I felt really welcomed and loved attending and having my own talk show,” said Williams. “I think that WPAW is a hidden gem. There’s a place for everyone there.”

When the crowd started dying down, Nick Aquilino and Brandon Mucitelli took the stage dressed as a pickle and Kermit the Frog and sang a song in order to engage the audience and to get more student performances.

At the end of the night, students left Kessel smelling like McDonald’s grease and feeling the comfort their food provided for them.

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

My name is Adiba Sikder and I'm a senior double majoring in digital journalism and digital cinema and filmmaking. I've always valued stories and storytelling....