Film Majors Reveal their Favorite Content on Netflix

Pace+students+are+huge+fans+of+the+streaming+service+Netflix%2C+but+Digital+Cinema+and+Filmmaking+Majors+specifically+have+a+keen+eye+for+the+best+content+the+service+provides.+Photo+Courtesy+of+Netflix+Media+Center.+

Pace students are huge fans of the streaming service Netflix, but Digital Cinema and Filmmaking Majors specifically have a keen eye for the best content the service provides. Photo Courtesy of Netflix Media Center.

Jake Maddia, Arts & Entertainment Writer

Have some time to kill? Want a rewarding TV experience? Well, if you are subscribed to Netflix you are in luck because the streaming service provides a wide variety of shows and films that appeal to many audiences.

Out of the many demographics that enjoy content from the billion-dollar company, Pace Digital Cinema and Filmmaking (DCF) majors are particularly loyal. DCF majors, such as Junior Blake Rozelle, have a strong passion for film and TV, and thus, keep a close eye on the content Netflix provides.

Rozelle said the best series he has seen on the streaming service are American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, The Office, and Shameless.

The junior and WPAW president narrowed his list down to the ones he recommends everyone should watch.

Breaking Bad, The Office, and Parks and Recreation are absolute classics that everyone should watch at some point,” he said.

While Rozelle is a huge fan of the series Netflix were able to purchase for its service, he’s also an adherent of Netflix original series.

He hailed Orange is the New Black, The End of the F***ing World, Stranger Things, Wet Hot American Summer, 13 Reasons Why, Big Mouth, and Black Mirror as the best original content on Netflix.

Out of the several Netflix Original shows that Rozelle gave, he said the ones that he considers to be the best are Black Mirror and The End of the F***ing World.

“As for Netflix originals, I would say Black Mirror [is one of the best] because the way the series is shot and directed is mesmerizing,” he said. “The End of the F***ing World is a bit strange, and most people probably have not watched it before, but the show being as peculiar as it is was the reason it stood out the most to me. Since it was a new, and different way to tell a story.”

Junior Rachel Skopp-Cardillo, another DCF student at Pace, also provided her list of favorite Netflix shows.

“Netflix is an amazing provider for tons of TV shows, and movies,” she said. “Netflix is where I like to go and binge watch shows that were made either before I was born or was too young to watch at the time such as Friends, The Office, and The Twilight Zone.

Despite the fact she is a fan of the discontinued shows Netflix provides, Skopp-Cardillo’s favorite show on the streaming service is one that is still ongoing.

“However, my absolute favorite show on Netflix is Jane the Virgin,” she said. “Every time I am stressed out or feel like banging my head against the wall, I turn on Jane the Virgin and all my stress just fades away for those 42 minutes. The show is just so unpredictable…. Just like my life. I think it’s a modernize telenovela. It has tons of cliffhangers and each episode just leaves me on the edge of my seat. Plus, the narrator of the show is hilarious, and has such a soothing voice that I can listen to all day.”

Hailey Pasterchick, a senior DCF major, revealed her favorite types of shows on Netflix are the ones that run in chronological order because “then, you cannot miss an episode or else you fall behind.”

She is also a fan of the reality series it provides such as Million Pound Menu and other TLC original shows.

“They are easy things to watch, yet still intriguing,” Pasterchick said.

The senior also stated that her favorite Netflix show to binge watch is New Girl because of its storyline.

“I get wrapped up in the storylines, and feel for the characters,” she said. “I love stuff that gets their viewers immersed, even though it’s so sad when it’s over.”