Dr. Nick Catalano takes Sabbatical to Work on HBO Film Adaptation of His Work

Dr. C at

Dr. C at "Birdland" the biggest jazz club in NY

Nicholas Catalano

Nicholas Catalano

Nicholas Catalano

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

Known to Pace students as ‘Dr. C,’ Nicholas Catalano has been working at Pace University for 55 years, spending 35 of those years teaching his passion; jazz.

“I write jazz criticism for a variety of publications,” Catalano said. “I teach jazz here at Pace. I’ve written and produced it while I was here at Pace.”

The professor and avid writer recently finished a screenplay about the late jazz artist, Clifford Brown.

The screenplay, Brownie’s Bop, took approximately eight months to produce. It is based on a book Catalano published in 2000, Clifford Brown: The Life and Art of the Legendary Jazz Trumpeter. His book was published in over five languages and Catalano toured with it around the world. The film is set for pre-production in the beginning of next January.

“This is a story of the greatest jazz trumpeter ever,” Catalano said. “I met him when I was 14 and playing.”

Before Brown’s untimely death at 25, he recorded enough music to be established as one of the best jazz artists. Jazz musicians Max Roach (drummer) and Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone) were a part of Brown’s group and will be featured in the film.

With the screenplay finished, HBO is now in the process of casting and preproduction meetings. They are looking into actor Chadwick Boseman, the lead in Black Panther, to play Brown. With Catalano’s expert opinion, they are looking into prominent faces of jazz such as Quincy Jones and Wynton Marsalis to be featured.

“I am especially excited because jazz is the only original American art form; very little understood and this film will advance the cause,” Catalano said. “The principal excitement here is not only that he was a great trumpeter but a consummate genius in an art form that deserves equal billing with classical music.”

Catalano never let his successful career in the show business persuade him to leave his teaching career at Pace. Other than being a professor, for 30 years Catalano was also the University Director of Performing Arts for both campuses.

“A lot of the things I did while I was Performing Arts Director connected me with show business,” he said. “I was often asked to work in show business, but chose teaching at Pace over working in Hollywood.”

One of his greatest accomplishments at the university was running a comedy series that Pace had 40 years ago. Well-known faces of Hollywood performed at the comedy show several times. Some of these comedians include: Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Maher, Larry David, and Robin Williams.

Catalano has a packed career filled with accomplishments at Pace and in the show business. He produced comedy series for HBO and Cinemax, wrote comedy pilots for CBS, and wrote screenplays for ABC Circle Films. Catalano has also written four books, and already has his idea for his fifth and final book.

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

I am a junior Digital Journalism major with a minor in Public Relations. On campus, I am Feature Editor of the Pace Chronicle, a part of the Cheerleading...

1 Comment

One Response to “Dr. Nick Catalano takes Sabbatical to Work on HBO Film Adaptation of His Work”

1. Colin Murphy on September 20th, 2018 12:32 am

I’m looking forward to seeing it. Prof. Catalano is one of my favorite professors to date. I don’t think he will see this, But I am going to have to email him directly to say congratulations. I hope it goes as well for him as his classes did.

*

• Dr. Nick Catalano takes Sabbatical to Work on HBO Film Adaptation of His Work

Consensual Seduction or Cruel Intentions? An Investigation into a Sexual Assault Allegation on Pace’s Campus

Producing a Documentary Course Releases ‘Hawaii: Living on the Edge in Paradise?’

Course Evaluations: Who Are They Really Helping?

Emilee Coladarci: Spotlight on Student Teaching

Senior Traditions: Old and New  

From Italy to Pace: A Kessel Employee’s Journey

The Wacky Wildlife at Pace

Tackling a Common Question: Is Pace Safe?

Swapping Campuses: When it’s Worth the Commute

Tokyo to NYC: Jason Hui Takes his Studies on the Road