Jersey Shore Stars and Pace Alumni help a Local Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Awareness

Featured+are+some+merchandise+for+sale+at+Zuma+Tanning.+

Juliana Ferrera

Featured are some merchandise for sale at Zuma Tanning.

Christina Bubba, Editor-in-Chief

Five minutes from Pace, Zuma Beach Tanning Salon and Spa of Pleasantville is preparing for a month-long fundraiser to raise money to support two breast cancer organizations: Support Connections, a local organization and National Breast Cancer Foundation, a national organization.

The idea started with a signed bottle of lotion that Zuma Beach won in an online contest. The signature was from Jersey Shore star, Snooki. Instead of selling the bottle, the owner wanted to make it into a fundraiser for a good cause.

“[My boss] left the decision up to me to decide what organization I wanted to donate to,” sophomore and Zuma Beach employee Juliana Ferrera said. “It all fell into place with October being breast cancer awareness month and my boss being a breast cancer survivor.”

Being a breast cancer survivor, Kimberly Scialdone, owner of Zuma Beach Tanning, feels strongly about this particular cause.

“Being a business owner, when you go through something like this, it’s difficult because when you work in a big company or organization, people come around and help you out, and when you work for yourself, you don’t have that,” Scialdone said. “So, I figured if I could help an organization and if there’s other women out there that need help, I can help them.”

Pace alumni and founder/CEO of Glam Seamless, Alexandra Cristin is donating pink hair extensions to Zuma Beach to support the cause. Glam Seamless is a multimillion-dollar hair extension company that is utilized by celebrities such as Kim Kardashian.

“Her business is about empowering woman and being that she is a Pace alum, I reached out to her,” Scialdone said. “The minute I told her we were doing this, she said ‘absolutely, what do you need?’”

All the proceeds from the merchandise are going to Support Connections, a nonprofit organization located in Yorktown, where they are having a breast cancer walk on Oct. 7. The merchandise includes the pink hair extensions and homemade charm bracelets that Scialdone’s daughter made and donated.

Throughout the 31 days of October, Zuma Beach will be selling one-dollar raffle tickets at their front desk. All of the donations raised through the raffle tickets will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

The prizes for raffle winners vary and will be chosen at random. There is the signature bottle of lotion that started it all, a poster signed by Jersey Shore star Ronnie, tanning packages, a piece of artwork, lotions, and more.

“It feels good to help other people and an organization,” Scialdone said. “We wanted to pick something personable and that meant something to me.”

For more details or to donate to the cause, visit Zuma Beach Tanning Salon and Spa on Bedford Road in Pleasantville.