Pace Climbs for Multiple Sclerosis Fundraiser

Katherine Walsh, Contributing Writer

The rock climbing wall on Alumni Lawn Friday symbolized having total control over your body and to climb for those who cannot. Alpha Lambda Sigma held their annual Multiple Sclerosis event to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The event featured a rock climbing wall, raffles and Rita’s italian ice.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that attacks the central nervous system according to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The National MS society estimated that it affects 2.3 million people worldwide and is two to three times more common in women than men.

Junior Paige Castiello, a member of Alpha Lambda Sigma, said that this cause was important because MS completely affects the way of life for someone. In addition, there is no cure for it.

Freshman Lizette Zayas said this cause hits home, “My friend’s dad has MS and its hard on her family.”

This event previously was called Spike Away MS and featured a volleyball tournament.  However, there was a need for a change.

“Unfortunately less and less people showed up each year so we didn’t raise as much money,” Castiello said, “ One of our sisters Bryanna knew vendors who had a rock wall and we all agreed [on the idea] at a chapter meeting.”

Zayas said that she was glad it was a rock climbing wall because she isn’t good at volleyball, “It’s a little scary, but fun.”

The event was $3 and sold raffle tickets which were $1 for 1 raffle, $3 for 5 raffles and $10 for an arm-length.

Pasquate Nou, freshman, said of the event, “I’ve never been on a rockwall so it’s a good experience and its supporting a cause.”