‘Quiet area’ for Mental Health stability Proposed by Sister Susan

Sister Susan writes her own blog and can be found on Pace’s web site.

Christina Bubba, Editor-in-Chief

Sister Susan Becker, Pace’s campus Chaplain, proposed an idea to implement a “quiet area” on campus for students, faculty and staff during a Q&A session after President Marvin Krislov’s State of the University speech.

Students will be able to use the space as they please; whether they wish to meditate, reflect on their thoughts, or pray. Mental health is something that is often overlooked on college campuses and research shows that students do not know how to cope and balance their responsibilities.

According to Gregg Henriques, Ph.D. clinical psychologist, between a quarter and a third of students meet criteria for an anxiety or depressive illness throughout their time studying at college or university. The quiet space may be a way for Pace students to reflect on their mental health.

“I didn’t know my mental health was bad until October, I was put through a lot and didn’t know how to cope with it,” freshman Kayla Flores said. “I let it affect school, friendships, and most of all, my body.”

Flores was not always fond of the idea of counseling, even though she would go days without eating or sleeping. She has seen improvements in her mental health since attending counseling, but still values time spent alone.

“There are days I stay in my room alone so I can cope with being alone instead of constantly making distractions and pushing my problems away,” Flores said.

The quiet area could be that place where students can go to escape pressures of their every day lives.

“I would utilize it just as much as I do with the library, only difference is, that it will also be used for a place of worship and spiritual time with the lord,” Flores said.

The quiet area proposal is gaining support among the community. Freshman Jaileen Ramirez believes in the importance of managing mental health, especially for college students.

“Students need a place to clear their mid and be in tune with themselves,” Ramirez said. “Students can feel so overwhelmed and stressed with the work they receive and sometimes feel lost; a quiet area can give them peace.”

College students are responsible for their studies, and poor mental health can quickly distract from education.

“[A quiet area] makes the work you do of higher quality when you’ve had the time to sort out in silence,” freshman Benjamin Dengler said.

Sister Susan has not commented on her idea at this time. The Pace Chronicle team is attempting to get into contact with her. Check the PaceChronicle.com for updates.