One hour and two worlds apart: the divide between Pace Pleasantville and Pace NYC

Pace.edu

Pace NYC (above) and Pace Pleasantville (below)

Alexis Nieman, Media Editor

“One Strong Pace,” Pace President Marvin Krislov’s three-part success plan for the university brings up an interesting idea in the name. One Strong Pace sounds like a nice idea, but is the idea of being “one Pace” while having three different campuses, possible? 

Pace Pleasantville, Pace NYC, and Pace Law School in White Plains are the three different campuses of Pace University. Contact between students at the two undergraduate campuses, Pace NYC and Pace Pleasantville, is very limited. Some Pleasantville students believe that even though we are both Pace University, the two undergraduate campuses function more like separate schools, with Westchester in a completely separate world from the city campus. 

Jaida Miller, a junior at Pace Pleasantville, believes that more can be done to have students from both campuses come together. 

“I do think there is a divide between the two campuses​,” Miller said. “I feel it is partly because we do not have opportunities to come together and get to know each other better. We cross paths for the sake of getting school work done but that’s it. The treatment of the two campuses is completely different. The NYC campus seems to be favored in many ways and is held to different standards. For example, if we have events here, the NYC campus can usually show up and be admitted almost immediately, but Pleasantville students have to jump over various hurdles to be not only invited to the event but to attend as well.”

Social media is another place where Pleasantville students feel overlooked by Pace. Pleasantville junior Stephanie Nazario says that the Pace social media shines a light mainly on Pace NYC. 

“I think the Pace University social media focuses on the NYC campus,” Nazario said. “Pace has two other campuses in which it doesn’t accurately show how the Pleasantville campus looks. It does bother me especially because I want to brag and show off my school but when I tell someone I go to Pace, they automatically assume it is the city campus.”

Junior criminal justice major, Elyezer Oliviery was a student at Pace Pleasantville his Freshman and first half of sophomore year before switching to the NYC campus. 

“In my opinion, Pleasantville is much better than NYC,” Oliviery said. “The campus is much more beautiful and the people are nicer. At the NYC campus, people keep to themselves and do not talk to each other. Also, the campus is very small.”

According to Miller, a step in the right direction to bridge the gap between the two campuses is the chance to have more communication between the students and administration when it comes to events and student organizations. Student ambassadors, who could be liaisons between NYC and PLV, would help eliminate confusion and complications when trying to get information or communicate.

“Pace should make it so we can have the same amounts of guests and events so that the students on both campuses don’t feel like they are being overlooked,” Miller said. “If possible, I would also like Pace to implement more ways for the campuses to have to interact so we can start to build better relationships.”

In the future, Nazario wants to see Pace represent Pleasantville better, including handling renovations, being accurately represented on social media, being invited to events on the NYC campus, and understanding what this campus is all about. 

“I do think there should be more communication and relationships, especially because we are supposed to be one campus- or at least that is what they promote,” Nazario said. “However, the PLV campus often gets neglected with the needs of the students. The students are the reason Pace is running and yet, we don’t ever see where our money is going and who our money is going to. Both campuses should be a reflection of each other and not opposites of each other.”

It is the wish of many students that the three campuses form a better community in the future.