Evan MahannaApril 20, 2024

Two Cents: Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus, previously known by many as Hannah Montana, has clawed her way back to the spotlight after a dry spell that lasted several years. Her newfound attitude and the self-assurance may rub some of her fans the wrong way, while others think it’s just the way she wants to express herself.

Since the beginning of the year when the buzz for her album Bangerz started, she’s taken on an entirely different persona. From a new hairstyle to her infamous performance at the Video Music Awards (VMA’s), she’s ditched the Hannah Montana act and has fully embraced her new lifestyle.

“I really liked her new album, I always thought the whole Hannah Montana was kinda whack, but her new music is entirely different and has broken down barriers in the pop world,” business major Peter Russo said.

Bangerz has received generally mixed reviews because of the drastic change in style, but some feel that it legitimized Cyrus and her utter disregard of what anyone thinks of her.

“The change is definitely a good thing, I wasn’t on board with it at first because she didn’t show us how she’s changed as a musician, but now that we have a new album from her I think it gives her a lot more credit,” sophomore nursing major Kimberly Mitts said.

My Two Cents:

Ever since last year, Miley Cyrus has completely reinvented every aspect of her stardom, regardless of whether or not it’s positive. Even though some of it brands her as pop’s newest bad girl, it isn’t necessarily a negative connotation. Some parents may feel it’s her obligation as a young female to set an example for her audience but ever since she ditched Disney, it really isn’t her place.

The world of entertainment is a filthy place with heartless corporations trying to make a buck, and in the words of Justin Timberlake (this might be out of context), “one day you’re screaming you love me now, the next day you’re so cold,” which can be a metaphor for the way the public views celebrities.

Cyrus is trying to one-up the next person and she’s accomplishing it the same way Madonna and Britney Spears did by using a similar shock factor. I generally agree with her change in style, it’s some- what original and that’s what she needs to get a legendary status.

The moral dilemma I find myself in is whether or not I can appreciate her understanding of being successful. It’s become a terrible stereotype in the pop world that a woman needs to use her sex appeal to gain fans. Sinead O’Conner, one of Cyrus’ inspirations, wrote an open letter to Cyrus a few months ago, in which she demonized Cyrus for strictly using her sex appeal to get herself back on the map and to promote her music. I completely agree with this, there are plenty of legendary female musicians that hardly use their sexuality to further their career, which in my opinion a lot more respectable.

Cyrus has a lot of potential, she has a decent voice, and she has some of the best producers in the music industry to back her up. Who knows what the future holds for Cyrus, one thing is certain though, some where in America Miley Cyrus will still be twerkin’.