Mortola Library Hosts Week of Stress Management Events

Kaitlyn Szilagyi, Health & Beauty Editor

Mortola Library is hosting a week of events focused on stress and relaxation as students and faculty prepare for final exams.

Beginning on Mon., Dec. 8, events will include guided meditation with Sister Susan Becker, therapy dogs from the Good Dog Foundation, and a stress management session with Mariesa Cruz-Tillery from the Counseling Center.

The week will close with a board game night on Fri., Dec. 12 hosted by the Mortola Library staff.

The library will additionally host one-hour Biofeedback therapy sessions each day to reduce stress.

Mayo-Clinic, a nonprofit medical practice and research organization, describes biofeedback as a tool for gaining information about the body’s functions.

Through biofeedback, electrical sensors provide an individual with information about their body, allowing them to correct issues such as muscle tension and heart rate.

Biofeedback is done to help manage symptoms of physical and mental health. Such symptoms include anxiety and stress, not uncommon amongst college students.

Associate University Librarian Steven Feyl hoped that such events would help students to see Mortola as a “supportive campus environment.”

“This is a stressful time. There’s only so much we can do, but we want to help,” Feyl said. “I hope people feel comfortable to do different things here like study, socialize, and hold e-board meetings.”

Head of Research and Information Services for Mortola Rose Gillen expressed similar intention, hoping that the events would show students that these resources are “interactive and approachable.”

“That’s why we do it,” Gillen said, “so, students know we care and hope to be approachable.”

Beginning Monday, library hours have been extended to 24 hours.