Essential Items for your Everyday Skincare Routine

Skin care that will help you this semester. (Photo courtesy of http://angelasheaven.com/natural-oils-instead-toxic-sunscreen/)

Abby Stucker, Health and Beauty Editor

When life is crazy because classes just began, and people are trying to find their groove and settle into their fall semester routine, everything can seem totally unpredictable. The last thing you want as a college student is your skin to be unpredictable! You already have so many other things to worry about. Everyone needs a skincare routine they can count on.

Sunscreen isn’t just for those summer beach days. It should be used for all seasons. The sun is the number one reason for premature aging skin. Sunscreen is the best weapon of defense against ultraviolet (UV) light exposure and free radical damage.

Three tips to remember for maximum protection of your skin are: apply it soon enough, meaning 30 minutes before going into the sun, make sure to apply an adequate amount of it! The average person applies less than half the amount that they should be. Lastly, it is important to remember to reapply often. Reapply at least every two hours to get effective protection.

There are many different forms of sunscreen that you can fit into your routine if you don’t like the typical lotion feeling. There are sprays, tinted moisturizer, and foundations that infuse amounts sunscreen into them.

“My skin is really sensitive to the sun and I have dry skin too,” said Sarah Bard, a junior at Pace. “So I love using a moisturizer infused with sunscreen everyday so I can minimize the amount of products I use on my face.”

You can always find ways to fit in sunscreen into your routine, and you should, now that you know it’s so important.

Vitamin C stabilizes the free radicals and protects skin from damage, it adds plenty of other anti-aging benefits as well, like brightening complexions, lightening dark spots, and improving the appearance of wrinkles by helping to stimulate collagen in the skin.

If you’re wondering how you could find vitamin C in forms to put on your face, I’ll tell you! It is the main ingredient in serums, creams, and mists, or you can buy it paired with other powerful antioxidants.

One thing to keep in mind is that antioxidants break down when exposed to light and air, so it’s important to make sure you buy products packaged in opaque and airtight containers. Otherwise, these vital ingredients will begin to lose their effectiveness.

Topical retinoids refer to a group including vitamin A, with retinol being the most common. Retinol has a multitude of benefits and is known as a skin-restoring ingredient. The benefits include increased collagen production, improved appearance of wrinkles, decreased pore size, fewer breakouts, and clearer complexions. There’s almost nothing retinol cannot do for your skin.

The ingredient itself is sensitive to sunlight, which is why it is best if applied as an overnight treatment.  But a retinoid shouldn’t make your skin any more vulnerable to UV rays than it would be after buffing away dead skin. Remember to moisturize often to keep the dry skin that can arise from using retinoids at bay.

Oil is your skin’s best multitasker! It helps to fight dryness everywhere, meaning hair, skin, and nails.  Forget any worries, you won’t break out from oils and for all those oily skin types out there, you will benefit from a little more oil on your skin. It helps to moisturize skin and prevent oily skin from over producing oil, since many people strip away the natural oil that a face needs. The only option the skin has is to overcompensate for the lack it.

Facial oils are now made in very light formulations that are good for layering and everyday use. Also, remember too much of anything is never a good idea. There’s an oil for every skin issue!