Pace Mart Opens In Mortola Library

Pace Mart Opens In Mortola Library

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

Mortola Library’s new convenience store, Pace Mart, officially opened for business on Mon. April 7 Pace Mart, located on the first floor across from the bathrooms, is open from 3 p.m. to 12 a.m. on most days, with the exception of Friday it closes at 11 p.m. and Saturdays when it closes at 8 p.m.

The shop’s process originated as an idea that marketing professor Dr. Kathryn Winsted pitched to her students. It required intense planning by the team, who met at least once a week during the fall semester. It also required the team to meet with and gain the support of multiple groups including the librarians, auxiliary services, and the managing team of the Pace Perk Café. The managing team ultimately gave the team the loan they needed to start their business.

“It was very arduous, long, and tough. At the beginning a lot people didn’t support it. The librarians were worried about it,” said Mitch Farrell, one of the founders of Pace Mart.  “A lot of people and a lot of the staff especially, were really confused about it. A lot people didn’t think it would happen, at least not this year.”

Pace Mart offers a variety of items essential to the life of any college student, including but not limited to cookies, coffee, cupcakes, condoms, Claritin, Five Hour energy, non-alcoholic beverages drinks and household necessities. 

Its coffee and baked goods are exclusive to Pace Mart, when compared to other stores on campus, because they are imported from small bakes hops in the Pleasantville area that specialize in their products rather than mass production. The chocolate chip, sugar, and oatmeal raisicookies are courtesy of Enrico’s Bakery and the coffee is brewed using Double Barrel Roasters equipment and coffee beans.

“We like supporting small businesses, because I personally find that they try harder to make a better product since they’re so small. It’s not just like ‘we have to make a bunch of these’; they are more tailored to your needs,” Farrell said.

Pace Mart offers competitive prices to those of Kessel, the Briarcliff cafeteria and the bookstore. Currently the store only accepts cash, but is expecting to able to accept credit and debit cards by the end of this week. Even after cards are available as a payment method, Pace Mart will not be accepting Pace One cards.

However, starting in the fall, it is planning to accept new “dog dollars” which function similar to flex dollars. Dog dollars will allow students to load money on cards that can be spent around campus in locations like Pace Mart and the bookstore.

“It’s kind of a toss-up, because if we’re on the meal plan we have to pay Chartwells money, and our prices go up.” Farrell said.

Besides just the products, Pace Mart also offers students employment opportunities. Pace Mart currently offers a salary of $8.00 an hour for clerks, with a 25-cent pay raise per semester. 

“It’s preferred for business majors, because you grow and get an internship technically if you become senior manager, but if you’re really dedicated to it and feel like you can really make a difference we definitely want to hear from other majors.” Farrell said. 

Students are encouraged to check out the Pace Mart next time they are in the library, and if they’re in need of a snack, drink, or dorm supply. And those searching for on-campus employment can email their resumes to Dr. Winsted ([email protected]) or Kristina Vukaj ([email protected]) for consideration.