Security Use Questioned after Townhouse Fight

“I don’t understand why security is even at the townhouses,” another townhouse resident, Melissa Grossman, said. “I watched some kid get jumped for defending one of my sisters while security walked around.”

RACHEL AVILES, Featured Writer

After fights occurred at the Pace University Townhouses the first weekend of the semester, students questioned the role of security on campus.

“All I remember is one student being held back by his fraternity brothers, and the other kid being calmed down by some girl. There were literally two security officers in white shirts walking and watching, but doing absolutely nothing,” townhouse resident Sara Genova said.

Despite the intensity of the fights, fellow students broke all of them up while security guards did not intervene, according to bystanders.

Townhouse residents estimate witnessing about three to four fights that weekend.

“As security officers, there are certain protocol that we have to follow,” a security guard, who wished to remain anonymous, said. “One being that when a situation happens, we are to phone in to our supervisors before taking any action.”

However, when asked about protocol, Vincent Beatty, Head of Security suggested otherwise.

“Security should be intervening. If they’re not stepping in then there’s no purpose of having security, and that makes no sense,” Beatty said.

A follow up phone call with Beatty revealed that since the incidents occurred, the entire staff has been retrained.