Townhouse Day: Changing Student Mentality

TAYLOR LONGENBERGER, News Editor

Townhouse residents and other Pace students voiced disappointment and frustration after administration released the decision last Monday to prevent planning of the spring Townhouse Day event.

“Townhouse Day is something that brings the entire student body together, taking that away removes one of the only events that is able to do that,” said townhouse resident.

Dean of Students, Lisa Bardill Moscaritolo, Residential Life staff, and Head of Security Vincent Beatty responded to student reaction regarding the cancellation.

“It is my job as Dean of Students to make sure that students are safe,” Moscaritolo said. “There needs to be a balance between student safety and providing what students want.”

As safety is the main concern, administration maintained that they could not condone the student mentality associated with Townhouse Day that provokes violation of university policies. Student behavior may lead to consequences that the University would like to prevent.

“I don’t want to lose a student,” Moscaritolo said in response to a student’s question of the cancellation.

Despite Townhouse Day’s event proposal following policy and guidelines, student mentality cannot be changed by the proposal.

Townhouse hall council is open to student input for a new event that can be held in the spring in order to start a new tradition for townhouse residents and the Pleasantville campus.

More decisions about the event will be discussed in the hall council’s weekly meetings, as well as at the Residence Hall Association’s weekly meetings, Tuesdays at 9:30 PM in Lienhard Lecture Hall.

Further information behind the administrative decision will be released in the next week