SGA Update Jan. 6

Katie Szilagyi, Health Editor

Student Government Association reconvened on Fri., Feb. 6, in Kessel’s brand new multi-purpose room.

With desks lined in rows, on either side of the room and the executive board seated in front, the tone of student initiative, cooperation, and determination was set for spring 2015.

All participated in a moment of silence as Sister Susan Becker began with a blessing upon the new room, encouraging success, teamwork, and prosperity for the Pace Community.

Presentations were given by the Office of Administration and Career Services.

The environmental center is relocated and completed. Major construction has been completed upon Kessel Student Center. It now boasts a remodeled cafeteria space, student lounges, a brand new Student Government Association office, a conference room, and the multi-purpose in which SGA was held.

New furniture has been moved into the lounges, as of Feb. 8. In addition to these changes, the new field house is under construction, and the turf athletic field is also underway.

New Director of Career Counseling for Westchester, Bless Vaidian shared the list of upcoming programs and services being offered by the Career Services offices. These include “Practice Interview Day” on Feb. 11 in Gottesman Room from 12 to 4:30 p.m. Additional networking seminars and events are being offered as well.

The programming model for student organizations has been updated. Organizations must hold two Paw events every semester; Paw events essentially take the place of Priority events and likewise with Star events.

Faculty advisor Howard Weishaus spoke about the cancellation of many courses in Dyson following the establishment of new class minimums. He encouraged all students to voice concerns at the next community meeting, which will take place on March 3.