Breaking: Athletics Suspends Use of New Pace Softball Field

The softball field, which was recommended for an adjustment in netting due to a ball hitting a car on the Taconic State Parkway. Photo by Joseph Tucci.

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

Pace’s New Pace Softball Field has been “suspended” indefinitely due to a possible need to adjust the field’s back-netting to ensure the safety of individuals, according to Associate Athletics Director Drew Brown.

Brown says an adjustment to the netting was recommended to ensure that all balls are captured within the confines of the field.

“Pace University is committed to finding the best long-term solution and putting it in place as quickly as possible. The safety of our players, the fans, and the general public comes first,” Brown said.

The team will utilize Pace Field—the team’s original location on the former Briarcliff campus—for home games and practices until the issue is resolved, according to Brown.

It is unknown at this time if this will last the entire 2017 softball season.

The field was a part of the Master Plan and was completed last year, but the grass wasn’t in playing condition. It was intended to be used for softball’s 2017 season.

This is a developing story and will be updated once more information is made to The Pace Chronicle.