Nature Center’s Earth Month Banner Allegedly Stolen

A identical banner to the one stolen found near Entrance 2. Photo by Joseph Tucci.

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

One of the Pace University Nature Center’s Earth Month banners was allegedly stolen, according to the center’s Director Angelo Spillo.

The banner—a yellow sign with a picture of the sun wearing sunglasses and text saying, “April is Earth Month,”—was located on an adjacent patch of grass on the roundabout between Martin, Alumni, and Elm Halls. It was used to advertise a the Center’s series of Earth Month throughout April.

“It was right there on the corner [of Elm Hall before it went missing], where the stop sign is,” Spillo said.

The ropes that held the banner were left cut and untied and the sign costs approximately $250, according to the Nature Center’s Assistant Director James Eyring.

Spillo filed a report stating it had gone missing with Pace Security on Sun., April 10.

Campus Security and Safety Director Vincent Beatty was not available to comment at this time.

Eyring and Spillo are not completely sure of the exact time the sign went missing before they filed the report because they didn’t initially notice it was gone.

“I didn’t notice it was missing until after [Eyring] said something,” Spillo said. “But I notice it every day coming into [work] and say, ‘Oh, that’s a great place for it. You can’t miss it.’”

Eyring and Spillo are willing to let the alleged thief return the banner without consequences, no questions asked, and can keep it the whole year with the exception of Earth Month.

“If they want to take it they can have it, they can keep it in their room and do whatever they want with it, just bring it back, so I can put it up,” Eyring said.

A banner identical to the one missing can be found near Entrance 2.

Anyone with more information can contact Eyring through his email at [email protected] or phone at 914-773-3169, or Spillo through his email at [email protected] or phone at 914-773-3530.

This is an ongoing story and will be updated as information is made available to the Chronicle.